[3830] ARRLDX SSB W3DQ M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W3DQ M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 19:44:03 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): N8HM, K2PS, W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: M/M HP
QTH: District of Columbia
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:   12    11
   80:   42    34
   40:   81    47
   20:  159    67
   15:  266    76
   10:  214    65
-------------------
Total:  774   300  Total Score = 696,600

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Another interesting and fun contest. N8HM and K2PS did the yoeman's work, with
me filling in for a time betweeen them.

We had (major) issues with WriteLog -- we couldn't get the voice files to play
back, so we didn't run, our preferred way of operating from here. Fortunaely,
the gear inside and the antennas all worked well. After a long layoff and
dabbling with a K3 for a year, we back with the Orion, which is a joy to use.

The biggest issue was filling the chair. Our respective schedules made that
impossible, which was multiplied that none of us had strong enough throats to
replace the non-functional voice files. As a result, we went QRT far earlier
than we expected on Sunday morning, missing the great openings throughout the
day. Our guess is that we'd come close 1100 Q's f we could have continued.

The other "gotcha" is that we missed or mis-interpreted the band-changing
rules, which do no make sense in our operation. We run one radio (only have
one) and one operator per shift (serial single-ops). So we're in the M/M
category. Oh well, its only a hobby!

Some stats for those statisticly inclined:
The best 60 minute rate was 79/hour
The best 30 minute rate was 96/hour

The following stations were worked on 6 bands:
TI8M, CR2X, HK1NA, PJ4G, P49Y, E7DX

W3DQ station:
TT Orion 565
TT Hercules II am (500w)
Force 12 C3-SS (roof mounted)
160 Inv-L
80 inv-L
40m half square

Thanks to Paul, N8HM, and Pete, K2PS, for their great efforts.

See you in the next one!

Eric, W3DQ
Washington, DC