[3830] NA Sprint RTTY K4QPL LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY K4QPL LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:45:37 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: K4QPL
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: K4QPL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: nc
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:  16        1
   40:  27        1
   20:  24        1
---------------------
Total:  67     Mults = 31  Total Score = 2,077

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

The ultimate learning experience. My first contest qso was my 4th RTTY QSO
ever--and the other three were within 3 days of that. Why choose a known
challenge like Sprint as my first attempt at RTTY, and doing it from 150 miles
away remote as well? As they said of Everest, "Because it's there". Anyhow,
thanks to elmering from AA4FU I learned that I now know more than the RTTY
"experts" at Ten-Tec and Kenwood whose default FSK rig settings and
documentation bear no resemblance to the real world. I also know that the
default N1MM settings and suggested F-keys are only slightly more realistic and
didn't help very much doing that binary run-S&P dance we call the QSY rule.
Fortunately a last minute hookup before leaving Raleigh of a remote control of
my Sixpak with help from W0UCE put me on the required three bands.

The contest itself was interesting when I could get my head around the fact
that rate is a relative term and the technique for getting there is not the
same as CW or SSB. I consoled myself that even the HP hotshots were only
beating my first effort sprint rate by about 3X ! My participation terminated
abruptly at 0330 when VE3 family arrived for a few days down here at the beach.
Arrival was expected but I was just hoping they'd be late!

Will I be in the next one? Ask me again when I've recovered...