[3830] Rus DX WX3B M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX WX3B M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 05:35:30 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B, K3WI
Station: WX3B

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 22:17

  160:    17     0       12         0
   80:   162    18       47        14
   40:   398   152       61        31
   20:   437   330       81        59
   15:   414   346       68        46
   10:   229    12       51        16
Total:  1657   858      320       166  Total Score = 6,608,628

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The doomsday prediction of the Earth bound CME had Bill K3WI and I wondering if
this contest was a smart thing to do when the propagation predictions were not
looking good.

Turns out that the entire contest was a BLAST, with the exception of the last 4
hours, which we could have slept through, however we would have missed those
longpath JAs on 40, and a few other multipliers and about 40 QSOs.

First time I have ever participated seriously in RUDX and I am a believer.  I
love the mixed mode choice because it maximizes the opportunity to maintain a
good rate.

I dislike the serial number penalty in this contest (busting the serial number
is like busting a call and gets penalty points assigned)...it forced me to dump
a handful of QSOs I would have otherwise taken a guess on.

There was a evening period of QRN on the low bands that was about as bad as I
have ever heard...we got socked with electrical rain static...then later our
attempts on 160 were thwarted by 40db/9 static crashes on the transmit antenna,
and 10db/9 on the beverage.  Pulling out a serial number was frustrating my
callers!

Bill rode the 10m band opening for all it was worth - and that was a nice
surprise, because the band did not open at the expected time - there was a
delay.

15m is always a ball of fun at WX3B and this weekend was no exception.

20m dropped out earlier than anticipated however it got turned back on again to
Asia and some European destinations later in the evening.  The BOOMING non-stop
EU opening that lasts until 8:00pm did not happen.

40 and 80 were fun, and I finally got a chance to test out the NY3A inspired
beverage in a contest.  I have been critical of this too short parallel
beverage, however it did a credible job and in some situations was a good tool
to have.  I was able to hear an Ireland station Q5 who was formerly BURRIED
under some local rag chewers in the USA.

First time I have ever stayed in the chair for all 24 hours and the experience
was fantastic....until the bands just switched off at about 4:00am.

Many thanks to Steve NY3A for the encouragement and idea to do this as a M/2
and for my team-mate and expert operator Bill K3WI for taking the ride and
turning in another stellar performance.