[3830] OkQP K5YAA Mobile Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] OkQP K5YAA Mobile Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:18:39 -0700
                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): AK5X, K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Mobile Unlimited HP
QTH: Oklahoma
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:      0       0
   80:      2       0
   40:    299       0
   20:    337       0
   15:     44       0
   10:      0       0
    6:      0       0
------------------------
Total:    682       0  Mults = 60  Total Score = 124,760

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

For the Record - Activity was very light for a variety of reasons mainly a hot
15 meters on Saturday.

Murphy started riding with us in the first few miles when the Amp would not
stay on line for us and the generator suddenly developed a noise level of 7 on
the receiver.  The amp was so bad we went to 100 watts for the rest of the
contest.  Probably didn't make 10 QSOs high power before deciding it wasn't
worth having to keep resetting the amplifier every few seconds.  It just
wouldn't stay on line for more than a q or two.  Second Murphy attack was
software not changing bands for us automatically.  We had to do it manually but
not until we made several Qs on the wrong band - editor came in  handy there.
Had to manually select bands all day Saturday and Sunday for some unknown
reason - yet to be determined.  Third Murphy attack had to do with trailer
lighting.  I had installed a new pigtail for this years use of the trailer and
it turned out to be too short.  Driving during the day Saturday all the wires
came out of the crimps I had installed and two of them happen to touch causing
a fuse to blow in the van.  The fuse happen to be turn signals and dash panel
instruments.  Drive a while without a speedometer for some fun.  Also take a
guess at how much gas you have left!  End of Murphy attacks.  We were deciding
about Sunday - determined to finish the contest in a blaze without the Russians
in the way.  We just took it easy and followed the other traffic for speed
control.  As far as gas we filled up a couple of times to be sure we had enough
to finish the run through the northeast counties.  All went very well on Sunday
except for the flare that occurred when we were on the Adair Cherokee line.  A
dissapointment with only 27 Qs for the double count.  A surprise on Sunday were
calls from OE5KE and DL8MLD / USA out of the blue - very strong on 20 meters.

Here are some counts of Qs for many of the stations we worked.  Of special note
was W5TM instate - he was everywhere we traveled with a good signal.

N6MU  34
NT2A   34
W5TM  19
W5CW   8
K5BZH  11
W0GXQ  21
WB0CLL 9
AF5CC  5
K3TW  18
WA2VYA  25
KN4Y  17
K0HNC  14
W5FIT  12
KV8Q  18  <- Saturday Only

Of special note are canadians who were very active - thanks for the Canada Qs.

VE7CV  13
VE5KS  12
VE3KZ  23

Our best county Q counts were Craig and Nowata counties on Sunday with 58 and
51 respectfully.

Our worst was McIntosh with 1 and Oklahoma with 8.  We were either driving too
fast or the bands just didn't cooperate with us.

Despite the Murphy attacks we had great fun.  A stop or two for coffee and a
lunch plus great company made for a FB weekend indeed.  Ready for the next
one.

Jerry K5YAA and Bill AK5X