[3830] WPX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:32:13 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 26:15

------------
  160:    0
   80:    9
   40:   60
   20:  228
   15:  182
   10:   79
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

This was the most challenging WPX for me in many years.  A full-time effort was
precluded due to family and church-related activities on Easter weekend.  And
the conditions were pretty poor in general, especially in the first 36 hours,
which made it especially difficult for QRP.  Propagation seemed to improve late
Sunday morning, and apparently 15 opened nicely to Europe while I was in church!
 Fortunately it was still pretty good when I got home and I was able to S&amp;P
at a pretty decent rate.

Observations:
  There didn't seem to be a lot of VEs running - I miss those Qs and mults,
especially on the low bands.
  40 and 80 were extremely difficult with high noise levels and poor
propagation (at least for QRP and compromised antennas!)  It was kind of like
using a dummy load, except that would have been quieter.
  I didn't hear a single JA on 10, 15, or 20.  I heard a couple weak ones
Sunday morning on 40, but it was impossible to work them.
  10 was good for SA and Oceania, but never opened to EU from here.
  There was a lot of QSB on all bands at various times - fast and deep.
  There was good activity again from South America - a rich source of Qs and
mults.

As always, thanks for the great ears (and patience) out there, pulling my
little 5 watt whisper out of the noise, especially with challenging propagation
and nasty splatter.

The ND0C &quot;super-station&quot;:
  Yaesu FT-897D running 5 watts
  Wilson three element triband Yagi - 15 meters up; inverted vee with apex at
14 meters
  Heil microphone and N3FJP logging software

73,
Randy, ND0C

&quot;You don't have to be crazy to contest with QRP ... but it helps.&quot;