[3830] WPX SSB K6CSL SOAB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6csl@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K6CSL SOAB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 03:28:21 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K6CSL
Operator(s): K6CSL
Station: K6CSL

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: SJV
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:   13
   20:   35
   15:   36
   10:   20
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Friday Evening started with no contacts on 10M(obviously the high A Index in the
propagation stats) I had only 3 contacts on 15M, LV5, HK1 and KR4Z. I moved to
20M at 01:13Z. I worked 13 Q's on 20 and moved to 40M at 03:15Z. I worked 9 Q's
on 40 and moved to 80M at about 08:15Z and subsequently to a try at 160M, but
found nothing on either band. Saturday night was the same experience. In fact I
never heard one station on either band, other than the usual strange stations on
3840(the reason I almost never use 75 SSB) Early Saturday morning I did hear
AK6W calling on 160. I called him, but apparently he was not hearing me during
his very short listening period between his calls. Each time I said my call
sign, he would be half way through his next call before I could say my call
sign twice. I was very surprised to check QRZ.com and find he was in SCV. I
quit for the night about 10:00Z. I resumed the contest at 16:30Z on Saturday.
The bands were still poor with severe solar noise. 2 Hours on 20 netted 6 Q's
on 20. 20:45Z to 22:45 netted 11 Q's on 15 followed by 10 q's on 10M and then
15Q's on 20 as the bands began to improve. At about 05:30Z I had to disconnect
the antennas, and I even shut down the radio and my computer and pulled the
plugs from the wall outlets as a wild thunder storm with heavy rain and hail
blew through Riverbank. I got back on 40 between 06:00 and 09:30Z for 3 Q's on
40, N4RV, JH9URT and VK4YB. I didn't get back on until 19:15Z on Sunday. The
bands were greatly improved by then with 22 Q's on 15M between 19:24Z and 22:00
when I moved to 10M. Between 22:00Z and 23:00Z I worked 10 Q's on 10M. At 23:00Z
I figured I would try 20M for the last hour. Big error. I would have been better
going to 15M. The last contact of the contest was WP2Z, on 20 at 23:46Z. I had
hoped to beat my 2012 WPX SSB score which was 123Q's in 102 mults, but the poor
conditions on Saturday and then the loss of almost 3 hours to the thunder storm
just really ruined things. So I'll hope to do better on CW at the end of May.
Bert, K6CSL