[3830] EA RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4gmh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] EA RTTY K4GMH SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:38:04 -0700
                    EA RTTY Contest

Call: K4GMH
Operator(s): K4GMH
Station: K4GMH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

   80:  105    45
   40:  233    71
   20:  386    95
   15:  405   101
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1129   312  Total Score = 969,696

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to the URE for sponsoring the Contest.  Also, thanks to all who were kind
enough to work me.  A special thanks to all who put up with my mistakes with
function keys and just plan operator errors.

2 Tone was used along with MMTTY.  What a difference having two different
decoders working on the same signal.  Most of the time, both displayed the same
information.  However, there were enough differences to make have both decoders
a true benefit.  Which one was better - depends.  But then that is to be
expected as both are very good.

The MMTTY kept in the FIR, with 400 Bandpass.  AFC was turned off and receive
mark freq. set to 2125. 2 Tone was kept in Main and Normal throughout the
Contest.

One feature of 2 Tone is the AFC is turned on all the time.  Since most of my
operating is &quot;Run&quot;, I wanted to see if the 2 Tone all the time AFC on
would impact being able lock on the calling station before he would quit
transmitting.  The call of several calling stations were copied before the
other stations transmission stopped.  Fortunately, this wasn't as much of an
issue as I had envisioned when first started using 2 Tone earlier in the week.
The MMTTY helped overcome the initial 2 Tone's loss of copying the other
station.

Over all, 2 Tone may be a bit better, but that is a subjective judgement.  2
Tone seemed to handle the weak signals better, while MMTTY seemed to decode a
bit faster than 2 Tone.  Yes, in most instances MMTTY and 2 Tone compliment
each other making it possible to get the correct information from the other
station without asking for a repeat.

2 Tone was the xmitting S/W and MMTTY used for the &quot;Receive Only&quot;
clone window in Writelog.  With this S/W arrangement, function key characters
would be displayed in Writelog's Rttyrite window in clumps - three characters
immediately displayed when the function key was pushed, followed by a delay and
then a rapid display of another three characters, etc.  However, the
&quot;clumping&quot; wasn't noticed in the xmission when listen on the monitor.
 &quot;Hardware generated FSK&quot; was used.  Tried &quot;Software generated
FSK TXD&quot; and &quot;Software generated FSK DTR&quot; but neither would key
the FSK.

Again, thanks for all the QSOs and the patience with my mistakes.

  73,
  Mike, K4GMH