[3830] CWopsT K6RB/C6A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6rb@baymoon.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT K6RB/C6A LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:13:32 -0700
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Apr 10

Call: K6RB/C6A
Operator(s): K6RB
Station: K6RB/C6A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 1

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   5      4
   15:  43     43
   10:   1      1
-------------------
Total:  49     48  Total Score = 2,352

Club:

Comments:

Pretty much a single band effort. 10 meters was very weak and I was not being
heard on 20 m early on, either. So, 15 was my money band. Got lots of
non-member calls by folks who wanted /C6A. This is a good QTH for operating
/C6A. It's right on the water (Club Med Columbus Isle) and if you choose a club
room upgrade, you can be on a 2nd floor with a balcony facing the sea to the
N/NW. If I did this again, though, I would refurb the Buddipole by replacing
those hinky coils and taps with a pair of screwdriver coils and motors - one on
each leg. That way you could tune the antenna to your frequency. I would also
use coils that can handle 500 watts and lug along the KPA-500. I was hearing
lots of stations that were not hearing me. I think the extra power would have
made a difference. But, I had a great time even with 100 watts and a compromise
antenna. By the time I get back to Santa Cruz, I will have made about 400 Qs
doing a very part time effort (maybe 8 hours including CWT). Very enjoyable.
For those who chase IOTA, this is NA-001. I'm expecting a lot of QSLs, so I'm
going to design my own QSL and print up about 300 of them. That should suffice.
I'm not expecting much at 0300Z given that 20 m may be punk and I'm not real
strong on 20 anyway. I can load on 40 but I doubt I'll be heard real well. So,
I'm setting my goal at 10+ QSOs so that Hank will give me 3 (that's 3!)
participation points while /C6A. I return Sunday night and then head out to
Visalia the next weekend. Hope to see a bunch of you there.