[3830] JIDX CW JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] JIDX CW JA1BPA(@JG1ZUY) SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:43:30 -0700
                    JIDX CW Contest

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JG1ZUY

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: Chiba (12), Japan
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  775  33+83
-------------------
Total:  775    116  Total Score = 179,800

Club:

Comments:

This is the 3rd year in a row to participate in this contest as 10mb single
band.  I was not expecting much, as the sun had not been very active during
this spring.  However, the solar index had picked up a few days before the
contest, and the propagation turned out to be the best among the 3 years, at
least toward Europe.

Unfortunately, the arrival of CME around 2300UTC affected the propagation
toward North America until around 0400UTC, and even usually strong stations
from zone 4, such as N9RV (MT) and those from TX were whispering.  The only
opening toward the East Coast and the Caribbean was over the long path around
1400~1500UTC on Saturday, when I could manage to work a dozen of stations from
difficult zones of 05 and 08.

In contrast, the propagation toward Europe was amazingly good, and I could work
a steady stream of callers between 0700~1100UTC both days, all the way to as
distant as Ireland before the band closed.

I was aware of the competition from JA 10m big guns, such as JH3AIU, JA5FBZ,
JA6WJL and JH6WHN, all from Western Japan, who generally have an advantage
toward Europe.  I only wish that there had not been the CME that wiped out the
short-path opening toward North America!

Thank you for all stations who called me.  See you in next contest.

Best 73,

Icko, JA1BPA