[3830] CQ-M C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/15CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ-M C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/15CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:42:40 -0700
                    CQ-M International DX Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB/15CW HP
QTH: LARNACA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  795            72
   10:
---------------------------
Total:  795     0      72  Total Score = 161,568

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Apart from watching the UK Soccer Cup Final Saturday I didn't plan to be indoors
or on the radio  this weekend but, unusually for this late in Spring here, we
had gale force winds both days and some electric storms thrown in.

A look at the Contest Calendar showed this contest as the best place to spend
the time. An SFI approaching 140 and sunspot number of 145 indicated the higher
bands should be hot  but that did not quite work out. I made a start on 10mtrs
which proved to be pretty dead so moved  down to 15mtrs which was quite active,
signals not strong and opening/closing to different areas but progress was
steady. USA was weak but all call  areas made the log, nothing west of VE3 in
Canada though.
3 hours of prime time lost watching the Soccer but band still open when bed
called around midnight local time. Sunday morning I opted to stick with 15M
which started promising when a couple of west coast guys called in on the long
path plus AH6RR. The biggest surprise was Fred, K3ZO around 0800 local time, I
never saw that before, no idea what the path was, I was beaming due east, he
was strong with no flutter unlike the left coast signals.

After that things went pretty much downhill with patchy propagation. No real
opening to JA, just sporadic callers from those areas 1 &amp; 2.  Oceania, two
YB's apart, didn't show and only D3 from Africa. S&amp;P for mults was not very
productive and it was a slow, slow day.

Great support from the Russian guys who kept coming throughout and also,
notably, the majority of other entrants were sending numbers well into 3
digits, given good steady propagation on the bands this contest would be a
humdinger.

It is an irritation when you get called by a mult who will not give you a
number &quot;sri no test&quot;!!!   I had two such mlts  this weekend I didn't
otherwise get, I gave them both a 'NIL' and added &quot;if you are not in the
contest why call me?&quot;  Not sure about this contest but many of the Soviet
Block countries contests delete uniques anyway which can be a pain as a semi dx
stn where you can gather quite a few 001's.

Eqp't TS570 + Acom 1010 - 400w. 3Ele Triband Yagi up 15m. Logging with 'SD'.

73  Brian C4Z / 5B4AIZ.