[3830] WPX CW P40A(KK9A) SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW P40A(KK9A) SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:00:52 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P49V

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:    6
   40:  404
   20: 1200
   15: 1250
   10:  290
------------

Club:

Comments:

My wife and I took a vacation to Aruba and stayed at Carl and Sueâ??s wonderful
home. This was the first time that we stayed there, the house was beautifully
furnished and in immaculate condition. It had been a year and a half since our
last visit to the island and it was great to be back. We went on a couple of
snorkeling trips to Baby Beach, feeding the very aggressive fish. We enjoyed
walking along Palm Beach, shopping in Oranjestad and dining in the many fine
restaurants. We had a terrific time!

The house has a fully equip ham shack along with three towers loaded with
antennas. It had been a while since I was on the DX end of a pileup and I
forgot how much fun it can be. I went on 17m CW for my first time ever using
the SteppIR beam and I had an incredible time. I also played around on other
bands and unfortunately I discovered that the coax connection to the 40m beam
driven element had corroded and broken off. Antenna corrosion is a common
problem in Aruba and fixing this would not be easy. Since I wanted to operate
on all bands to maximize my enjoyment this contest weekend I built and
installed a 40m dipole. It had been a number of years since I last operated the
WPX CW contest and having five different beams to choose from on 10m, 15m and
20m made this extra exciting. 10m was in poor shape with a lot of QSB, however
15m and 20m produced substantial runs. 40m also sounded good and I wish that I
spent more time there.

I would like to thank Carl and Sue for the use of their lovely home and ham
shack and everyone for the many QSOs. Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A / P40A