[3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:38:19 -0700

  3.4:    2     2
  5.7:    0     0
  10G:    0     0
  24G:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  144   133  Total Score = 31,920

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Had good weather but poor conditions especially Saturday.  Did not operate on 6,
left the antenna off, was out to DX on the higher bands which did not go well,
and to give out points.

In EN93 I had a great horizon and got 32 qso's Saturday afternoon.  In EN94
Saturday evening, not much farther north, got 18 qsos, with a limited horizon.
Sunday morning in FN03 a good horizon and 15 qso's, more later. A quick visit
at lunchtime saw 6 qso's with VE3WCC who camped there as MOHP all weekend.  The
property owner passed away and his funeral memorial was happening on the farm in
early afternoon so paid my respects.  Headed to FN13 right at the waters edge of
Lake Ontario, with a limited horizon and 15 qso's.  Then north a few miles to
FN14, great horizon east through south, limited to the west and got 23 qso's.
Back to FN04 which has a great horizon, in the evening and scooped 14 qso's.  I
was parked 100 feet south of the antennas of VE3WCC who were running 1500W on 6
and 800W on 144 plus good power on higher bands, and receive was wiped out
every time they transmitted.  I cleared out at 0200z and went back to FN03 to
finish the contest, got another 11 qso's.  Not one qso was made in motion, road
safety comes ahead of contesting points with me.  All radios are silent in
motion as all are run off a Honda EU2000i generator.

Only equipment problem was muted rx on the 222 band and 756 ProII tunable IF,
sorted it out.  Other errors were mine, perhaps I can blame it on having turned
70 on June 8th, shocking.  Lack of sleep caused other errors and forgetfulness
that cost me points and multi's.  Had 5760 up on the mast above 3456 with no
weather protection, wind destroyed the plastic bag in travel.  Rain was in the
forecast so took it down in FN14, and not more than 20 minutes later W2SZ was
sending &quot;qsy up&quot; after we completed on 3456, alas I had nothing to
offer.  Live and learn.  OOPS!!!  Did not have 10G along for the ride this
trip.

Thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring and to all who at times workedpatiently with
me to get in my log.  See you in September, and amold enough to remember that
song well.

btw lets meet in CQWWVHF and ARRL UHF in the meantime, I will have many bands
and points again.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R