[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, croseman@usc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:59:21 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  122    73  Total Score = 8,906

Club:

Comments:

I won't join the chorus with lengthy comments on how bad the conditions were.
Let's just say that not all contests can have above average conditions. I took
my little portable QRP operation to central Kentucky where I operated from
Radio Ridge.  Nice site, but nothing to work during most of the contest. I was
demoralized on Saturday evening, having only worked the few big guns who could
hear me on the higher bands, plus a couple of 6 meter E QSos. Then Sunday
morning brought in a few more on the highs before about 9 local time. Then 6
opened to western Oklahoma!  For at least a half hour KB0HH was the only signal
on the band and sixty over nine. About 10:30 local the opening broadened to
parts of North Texas, Okla, Kansas, and Colorado. For the next two hours I
worked just about everybody I could hear in that region. Then a little after
noon local an incredible severe thunderstorm hit and stayed for over two hours.
I was sure the antennas (on a guyed 20-foot pole) would come down, but they
didn't.  However, it would have made little difference in my score had they
blown down. Once back on the air in mid aftenoon, 6 was still open to the same
area and I worked only a couple of new ones. After that there was almost
nothing new to work on any bands. I left the hill before the contest ended.
Thanks to all who were able to pull out my weak signals, and a big thanks to
K4FT and W5MX who led me to the site, and spent some time helping me
commiserate about the lousy conditions. I have been operating VHF contests from
portable locations for 54 years. Will I do it again?  Probably.