[3830] ARRL FD K3TN 1B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jpescatore@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K3TN 1B QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 03:19:57 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   61     0       0  Total Score = 960

Club:

Comments:

Last year, our QRP FD Appalachian Trail Sunday am expedition was cancelled by
police shutting down the area to search for a car thief/armed robber in the
woods.

This year we showed up at Gambrills State Park west of Frederick MD only to
find 4 Maryland State Police cars blocking the entrance as they handcuffed some
guy and searched his van. After a short wait, they waived us on by - I guess FD
weekend is a busy time for Maryland state troopers. But not a busy time for
Gambrills Park - we were the only ones there as we began to set up.

We found a picnic table near an overlook to the southwest at about 800',
located about midway between two recreational shelters. Carl provided the K3, a
12v drill battery, a 20M dipole and associated cabling. I provided the sling
shot system for getting the antenna up, the paddle, log sheets - and pretty
much all the CW operating ability. Which tended to limit our operation, since
the K3 is CW only.

The antenna went up pretty quickly, only up about 25 feet. Bands were in very
good condition and the K3 is a great little CW rig, putting out about 4w. I was
hesitant about doing QRP operation, as generally I agree that life is too short
for QRP. But I was able to just keep spinning the knob, find a loud CQ, answer
and move on. I gave the paddle to Carl and he tried in vain to find some 5 wpm
CQers he could copy and work, so he turned into the logger while I was the
operator.

After about 30 minutes it started to sprinkle, but never rained hard enough to
be an issue. After a little more than an hour, dozens of cars pulled and
started schlepping food and decorations to the two shelters on either side of
us, giving us odd looks as they passed by. Apparently, this was to be the site
of a wedding shortly. We used that as an excuse to end the operation and headed
out.

Score includes points for all emergency power, setting up in a public place,
copying the W1AW bulletin and web submission - plus we had FB coffee and
breakfast at Frederick Coffee, a real bonus.