[3830] ARRL FD AA2BJ(@WI2E) 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joseph.obrien@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD AA2BJ(@WI2E) 1D LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:21:28 -0700

  2.3:    0      0      0
  3.4:    0      0      0
  5.7:    0      0      0
  10G:    0      0      0
  24G:    0      0      0
----------------------------

Club:

Comments:

AA2BJ (Brian) made the journey from NLI to EPA to continue a Field Day tradition
of operating together that stretches back to 1987 when we were both young hams.
We had a long hiatus beginning with college, but we've been back at it since
2009.  This was our best effort yet.  AA2BJ handled the phone duties while I
operated CW.

My WI2E station remains a collection of single element antennas, but upgrades
to the antennas on all bands since last year's effort helped our totals on both
modes. Going from a quarter wave vertical to a dipole at a decent height on 40M
was the most significant change while replacing the RG-8X in the system with
RG-213 helped everywhere.

Equipment
Rigs: K3, TS-940S, TS-590S
Antennas:
80M: 1/4 wave inverted L + OCD dipole (10 ft to 45 ft)
40M: dipole (avg. height of 35 ft.) + 80M L with tuner
20M: switchable inverted Vs, apex at 36 ft.
15M: dipole (avg. height of 35 ft.)
K9AY RX Loop (it really cut through the QRN on 80M)

There's been some comments about the frustration 1D stations have working other
 1Ds (especially those calling CQ) for zero points. Our attitude here is that
everyone in the class is facing the same reality, meaning somewhere between 10
- 15% of our QSO total will be with class D stations. When we work a D, we just
say TU, smile as the rate meter ticks up, and move on.  I do keep a list of 1D
stations that I hear so as not to work them later in the contest. Overall, I
wouldn't want to see any limitations imposed that might reduce the total number
of QSOs everyone makes, especially as most stations score points by working
class D stations.

Thanks to everyone who actually went out into the field and by doing so helped
us have a great 24 hours of radio fun. We're already looking forward to FD
2014.

73,
Joe
WI2E