[3830] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 07:12:54 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  264    54  Total Score = 16,200

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Started out at Signal Peak in Newport Beach near N6NB's impressive 10 band tower
trailer. Nice single hop opening to Texas and Mexico.  Heard double hope to T43S
in Cuba, but did not work him.  It was good to meet Dave AD7DB up there. Weather
was almost cold, with a fog bank rolling over the hill, even at 1PM. QRT at
1:45PM

I arrived at Signal Hill (DM03)about 3:15 PM. Opening had shortened up a bit to
New Mexico.  At 2330z a nice, rare short skip opened up to Arizona, and I worked
about 5 all time new grids.  Was greeted in person by Hans N6TCZ and received an
eyeball QSL card from him.  Went QRT at 0030z.

Arrived at Scholl Baseball Fields in Glendale (DM04)before 0200z.  Parking lots
were very full, which I haven't seen before.  Still space for me to operate.
Very disappointed by the number of locals on at that time.  Worked a few
stations in Colorado, but maybe not as well as I could have, since that
location is blocked to the NorthEast.

Started out Sunday morning intending to go to the Morton Peak Fire Lookout for
DM14, about 5 miles up highway 38.  As I found out later, there is no signage
for the road to the lookout.  I missed it.  I was half way up highway 38, and I
did not want to turn back.  So, I ended up on the back side of Onyx Peak, which
is over 8000ft elevation!  I set up at a turnout near highway marker 41, which
had a great view to the north and east.  I hooked up my antenna, and VE6's were
BOOMING S9.  I worked a bunch of VE6, VE7 and W7 stations for about an hour.
Great opening!  I even worked Kurt W6PH in DM06 for a new grid! Unfortunately,
did not do much on the other bands from there.

I drove thru Big Bear, and got lunch.  Headed to Heaps Peak, which is about
6000 feet and looks out over the entire metro Los Angeles and San Diego areas.
There is a nice turnout there, with a graded area covered with wood chips.
Worked a lot of locals.  Impressed by the number of people on 222 MHz!  Tnx for
the QSOs!

A white van pulled up, and one of the men got out and yelled to me &quot;I am
on 433 MHz&quot;.  I nodded my head, thinking well, we are going to QRM each
other since I am on 432 Mhz.   The back of the van was filled with electronic
equipment.  Then I saw them pull out a large RC control airplane!  Oh that is
what he meant!  I noticed call letters on the plane - N6YIY.  It was Don
Giandomenico http://www.rcdon.com/html/about_myself.html with an impressive
plane that rode the thermals 500 feet up above us. Full video link back to his
van. I QRTed from 432 while he was flying it, obviously.
This is a personal best for me, and will set the bar for me in the future. I
love the adventure that this contest provides as a rover.
QSO Breakdown by Grid
DM13    53
DM03    69
DM04    25
DM14    87
Things to improve on for next time:
Very disappointed in DM04 results.  Maybe change time to go there - Sunday
morning instead?
Scout a new location for DM04.  Maybe Mt Wilson?
Probably could have made 50 more QSOs with the So Calif Pack Rovers, if I kept
an ear open for them.
Power inverter worked great for laptop, with little QRM.