[3830] IARU KD9MS SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craigbradley700@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KD9MS SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:10:57 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KD9MS
Operator(s): KD9MS
Station: KD9MS

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: IL EM57
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8      0      2       3
   80:    3     11      4       5
   40:   61     19     10      15
   20:   39     35     20      20
   15:    6     10      5       5
   10:    0      0      0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  117     75     41      48  Total Score = 40,406

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Didn't get to work as much of the contest as I wanted to. My son had a baseball
tournament (I HAD to go to that) and I was gone from 1400Z to almost 2300Z so
there was the biggest part of the DXing day! I am glad there was no CME to
destroy propagation like during the DL DX RTTY the week before because I would
have just quit!

10 meters was non-existent for me since I missed most of the good daylight. 15
was quiet early and I missed a lot of that although I did get some HQ points
from there and even a zone 28 from HG5N but all I really got was SA after 2300Z
from 15.

20 was ok but noisy and since I found out that my &quot;new&quot; explorer 14
has a bad 15M trap I was confined to 15 or 40 on that antenna on the 2nd radio.
I still don't have the rotor fixed from before the ARRL DX SSB so  will try to
fix both this week! So I worked a lot of 20 on the FT-2000d and TH7DX at 56'
and 40 mainly to EU (tried anyway) on the FT450D and the Explorer 14 pointed
and locked up at 50 degrees. It works fine, I just can't turn it but I still
got a lot of QSO's with it. 77 of 80 QSOs on 40m with that radio and antenna!
Not too bad!

80 meters was just a total problem. I think the relay on my RCS-8V needs to be
cleaned, cause the SWR would just go crazy and when I switched the antenna to
160 and back it worked better. Been a while since I strayed cleaner in there so
maybe that'll be a &quot;this afternoon&quot; job. Since my 80m inverted L is
uninstalled, I had to use that inverted V on my main tower. Still worked some
DX with it!

160 was noisy (is this news to someone)so all I was able to do was just close
in stuff. When I moved the other tower we had to cut down some 80' oak trees.
HANG ON! The ice storms we had in 2008 and 2009 did a number on them and killed
both trees. When we dropped the trees Christmas Eve 2012, they got some of my
ground radials with 10&quot; diameter limbs stuck in the ground about 8 feet
from 119 ground radials buried under my 160/40 inverted U. I was still able to
make contacts with it during many of the contests from Christmas up to this
point so its ok, but I need to fix those.

K9AY low band home brew was eaten by 5 Labrador puppies after the ARRL SSB so
no quiet receive antenna until I get that fixed, and the puppies adopted.

In all I was quite pleased with the contest. I did hear N1UR on 20 working
stations I couldn't even hear at a feverish pace. That was pretty cool. Strong
signal as usual and thanks for the QSO Ed. A big thanks to all my SMC family
for their encouragement and help. Without them I would still be dumb as a rock.
Find a contest club along with your local club and get involved!!!

Thanks to everyone who answered when I replied to their CQ (all S&amp;P again)
and I hope it isn't another 18 years before I get to work my next IARU!

73, Craig KD9MS