[3830] IARU WB4OMM SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb4omm@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU WB4OMM SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:44:23 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WB4OMM
Operator(s): WB4OMM
Station: WB4OMM

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

  160:   0       0      0       0
   80:   0      24      7      11
   40:   0      68     12      23
   20:   0     257     20      36
   15:   0     119     14      20
   10:   0      12      5       2
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     480     58      92  Total Score = 183,900

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Wow!  This contest was different.....
I was ready to go at 0800 local...re-situated and re-wired my Dog House (Ham
Shack) with some new toys and more comforts - primarily a new mini-tower
computer and a 160M sloper antenna.  I was chomping at the bit to try
everything out!
At 0801 local, I started listening on the highest band as I always do, and
found 10M was nada with no propagation really to anywhere, and 15M not much
better!  I would also observe that 15M and 20M would be VERY NOISY most of the
day.  I figured out later in the day, there would be no Asian, African, or
Australian continental propagation.  Then, I had to stop for some severe
thunderstorms with lotsa rolling thunder and lightning later afternoon - was
time for a dinner break anyway!!!  After the storm ceased and went away, 20M
actually improved some (10 and 15 never did), and I got some Qs.  40M and 80M
were also very noisy (S7 on 40M, S9 on 80M!), but I got some decent multipliers
on 40M.  By midnight (14.5 hours of Op time), I'd had it....headache from the
noise levels on 40/80, fighting to find a new Q, (never mind another
multiplier), and the struggle most of the day to work the contest.  I heard
NOTHING on 160M (from the contest �&quot; only one QSO with two fellas that
seemed to know each other pretty well!!)
I did NOT score as high as last year, although I made 34 more contacts and 2
hours of longer op time (18 less multipliers).
In a word, this contest was &quot;horrible&quot;.  It’s Sunday afternoon, and
I still have a headache!
BUT....I STILL HAD A BLAST!!!!!  After looking at many of the posted scores so
far today, I’m thinking the 480 Qs and 150 Mults were actually pretty good
for 100W and a beam at 38’!!!  Soooo….I think I won’t complain.
Hope everyone had some kind of success and fun....see you in the next 'test!
Bring on the sunspots!!!  (Please!!)
73, Steve WB4OMM