[3830] IARU W1UE/WRTC M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, egan.dennis88@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W1UE/WRTC M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:17:10 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1UE/WRTC
Operator(s): W1UE W1KM
Station: W1UE

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:     0     0      0        0
   80:   221    36     25       22
   40:   381    77     42       38
   20:   601   156     71       48
   15:   272   130     55       37
   10:    54    41     10       12
-------------------------------------
Total:  1529   440    193      157  Total Score = 2,198,700

Club:

Comments:

We were a WRTC2013 Test Station, so the &quot;Zones&quot; above is really a
country total, and the Total Score total is generated using the WRTC point
structure.

Greg W1KM and I again competed in the 2nd WRTC Station Test Drive at Myles
Standish State Forest, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.  Not much to say on the
antennas- everyone had the same tribander, tower, and dipoles.  Inside, though,
the station was a little different.

We borrowed a set of 403A BPFs and Triplexer for 20/15/10; as they are designed
to handle 2500watts, the hardly noticed our 100w transmitters.  What was most
impressive was the Rx isolation; on Saturday night, I was running Europe at
14000.5, and KM was running Europe on 7000.5.  We were like this for about 1/2
hour, when he asked me if he was bothering me.  I said no, then looked at the
frequencies.  I tuned up, and his 2nd harmonic was an S5.  Now, I know we were
using 100W, and the 40M signal was going through a W3NQN BPF and in addition
the 403A Triplexer/BPF that I was using, but still, the antennas were only 6 ft
away from each other.  Interstation interference was non-existent for this test;
it was like we were each a single op as far as that went.

The contest started slowly; we could never get much of a run going.  We
struggled to work a lot of the Europeans; S6 Europeans regularly CQed in our
face.  The &quot;Last 10&quot; meter, at least on 20/10M, never got above 100,
save for a brief 20 minute stretch on 10M SSB.  While our game plan was to
concentrate on CW, we found ourselves alternating frequently between modes and
bands in an attempt to keep the rate up.  I was also aware that we came in 2nd
last year because we didn't work enough mults on 10 &amp; 15M SSB, so we also
wanted to avoid doing that again this year.

Finally, about 2000Z, 20M opened well into Europe.  For the next 4 hours I put
300 Qs in the log; I sat on 14002.13 and just kept chugging away.  About 2245
KM went to 40M, and over the next 6 hours he put over 300 Qs in the log.  After
European sunrise, we were back to working anything we could, struggling to keep
the rate up.  During the last 2 hours, both 20 and 15 opened a little bit to
Europe.  Every Q was a struggle, and calling CQ was generally unproductive.  We
still managed to find 5 more mults in the last hour.

Taking the station down was anti-climactic; after all that hard work, it wasn't
fun.  After completing my duty at the Warehouse, I finally got home about 5pm,
not having slept since 6AM the previous morning.  Almost felt like being a SO
during CQWW!  Thanks to all for the fun time, and to everyone for the Qs.

Dennis W1UE