[3830] IOTA VA7ISL(VE7JH) SO24CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA VA7ISL(VE7JH) SO24CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:07:07 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VA7ISL
Operator(s): VE7JH
Station: VE7UF

Class: SO24CW HP
QTH: Vancouver Island
Operating Time (hrs): 22

   80:     5       2
   40:   225      36
   20:   703      84
   15:    67      20
   10:     0       9
Total:  1000     142      0        0  Total Score = 1,104,760

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

My thanks to Duane, VE7UF for allowing me to use his superb contest station for
IOTA 2013. The station is set up as Multi/Multi so I took full advantage of the
&quot;SO6R&quot; configuration. Well, I would've if the bands were open.

I thought using a callsign with &quot;ISL&quot; in the suffix would alert
stations that I was on an island and would make up for the confusion caused by
its not being in the calls.txt database. Well, there were a lot of requests for
repeats for the callsign and my hope that once I work a guy on one band the
second band-QSO will be simpler (when using computer logging) slowly evaporated
as this year's contest turned into a 1.5 band affair at least here in the
Northern Pacific.

Not a peep on 10m. I CQ-d here and there but nothing.
Several forays to 80m yielded but 5 QSOs.

15m was limited to W/VE and some S-Am but luckily there were quite a few
Pacific stations who gave a handful of mults.

20m was where tha action was, more than 2/3 of my QSOs were there. It was open
to Europe to some extent almost around the clock, and a handful of JA/BY VK/ZL
were also contacted. Great USA activity and the over-the-pole raspy openings
brought in over 100 UA+UA9.

I don't know if you guys have this game in your part of the world where you
call CQ towards the North Pole and try to copy as many of the half-dozen
Russian/Ukrainian 40WPM auroral distorted callsigns as you can. It can get
frustrating as they are generally very competitive and they don't take kindly
to folks asking for (NR?) repeats. It is definitely an acquired taste, but I
thoroughly enjoy it and my kudos go out to my Russian (and other Eastern
European) friends who seem to prefer waking up at 2AM local time and turn their
antennae North to play radio.

Just as I was wondering what to do in the last few hours 40m popped open to JA
and there was a nice influx of 15 pointers from AS007.

Too bad 40 and 15 did not open to Europe as there seemed to be a station on
every island on the Old Continent giving a multiplier. I've got 46 EU- IOTAs.
Taking part in the RSGB IOTA program sure helps you appreciate those travel
shows on Discovery Channel.

I pulled the plug with a few more minutes to go after reaching 1000 QSOs, gotta
leave room for improvement in 2014.

Until a few weeks ago I was not at all familiar with the IOTA program, err,
programme (would make a good presentation for your next club meeting...) and
really enjoyed the geography lesson. A great amount of effort is put into it by
the vlounteers and it is one of those things that make ham radio an interesting
hobby especially to the casual (or just not &quot;competitive enough&quot;)
contester.

Finally some numbers from N1MM. Remember, I'm in VE7 on Vancouver Island, in
the North-East part of the Pacific Ocean. I'm sure they would look different
from EU-005.

Unique IOTAs (104 worked)
AF -  1
AN -  1
SA -  1
AS - 19
EU - 46
NA - 25
OC - 11

Most active DXCCs (78 worked):
W:   424
JA:  106
UA:   57
VE:   52
UA9:  49
UR:   35
DL:   35

Most active islands (278 island QSOs):

AS-007:  93
OC-019:  10
EU-005:  10
OC-036:   8
NA-067:   7
OC-001:   6
AS-018:   5
AS-077:   5
NA-026:   5

Thank you all who pulled out my QRO signal eminating from the triple TH7DXX
stack(s). See you all in 2014!

73,
Gabor, VE7JH, IOTA: NA-036