[3830] IOTA 9A/AC6DD Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac6dd@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA 9A/AC6DD Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 10:39:04 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: 9A/AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD IV3LZQ IV3PUT 9A3JH 9A4QV 9A4WY 9A3R
Station: 9A/AC6DD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: EU110
Operating Time (hrs): 23

   80:   134      47       7        4
   40:   237      54      71       26
   20:   853      63      31       23
   15:   184      34      22       22
   10:    59      22       0        0
Total:  1467     220     131      759  Total Score = 3,947,100

Club:

Comments:

This was the time that the lone Wolf AC6DD met company. It has been some 20
years since I operated anything other than Single Operator in a Contest.

In April I received an e-mail from Stefano IV3LZQ saying that they had plans to
operate from the same small Island for the IOTA Contest as me, and that we
should join forces in a multiop station.  My initial reaction was tough luck -
I am doing it alone CW only.
I soon ralized that was extremely selfish, so we decided to meet in person
sometime before the contest, which turned out to be a quick 30 minute meeting
in Udine on my way back to Slovenia from Friedrichschafen.
We met again on Friday before the contest on Sv. Nikola Island, and after a
quick consultation we started to set up the stations and antennas.

We managed to put up two multiband Verticals, one in the water, the other one
on a rock above the water, and one 80m Vertical on the waters edge. It was a
very hot and humid day, we were sweating big time. I was getting worried that
the Beer supply I took along was just not going to last.
Since we were all seasoned operators the beautiful ladies on the Beach right
next to us did not have any effect on our performance.

We dealt with a magnitude of problems in making our two stations work. The most
notable issue turned out to be the N1MM networking. This was my first time using
N1MM, and had to leave the setup to others. I also made an error in setting my
computer time and started the Contest with my computer off by 2 hours, which
affected the common log.
The other big issue turned out that when we had networking we lost cluster and
vice versa. I am not a cluster fan, but in this situstion the Multiplier
Station was severely handicapped by not having cluster access. Also early in
the morning we lost one hour operating time due to some power supply problems.

AC6DD started off the contest Run station on 20m CW with a very decent rate.  A
bit later an excursion was made to 15m, but conditions there were were quite
poor with some SA and Asian Stations worked, but we quickly returned to 20.  I
thought that if it is this poor here the bands must be dead in W6 land.

One of the SSB operators did not make it, so now we were 3 CW operators and one
SSB. We operated mostly CW through the evening with IV3LZQ taking the run
station and 9A3JH looking for multipliers. 9A3JH spent all of his operating
time on the Multiplier station.  This was a tough job.
At around 0200z We did some SSB with IV3PUT at the Run station on 40m SSB and
AC6DD looking for mults on 80m.

Later in the morning we were joined by Adam - 9A4QV, KIko - 9A4WY and Rudi -
9A3R, all top notch CW ops.

AC6DD took to 10m CW for the last 45 minutest of the contest, and we were able
to at least show a presence on 10m.

Our problem turned out to be that other than IV3PUT no one else was interested
in working SSB, and our SSB numbers show it.

This was the first time we spent time together, and I must say we had lots of
fun. We all felt like we have known each other for years, and not just met a
few days before for the first time. When the contest ended we hoped there was
another one starting on the next day so we could extend the great time we had.
The Bungalows we used on Sv. Nikola Island are old and run down, and set to be
demolished this winter.  They will be replaced with a new modern Pool Facility.
We shall see how this will affect future IOTA operations from this location.

Run Stn: K2 100, SB200 amp 600W, Butternut HF9V
Mult Stn: K2 100, HLA300 amp 300W, HY-GAin 14-AVQ
Common items: 80m Fiberglass pole Vertical, N1MM logging

9A/AC6DD - EU110 Sv. Nikola Island