[3830] WAE CW EF8U(KD4D) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kd4d@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW EF8U(KD4D) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:05:33 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: EF8U
Operator(s): KD4D
Station: EF8U

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Gran Canaria
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:  113         136
   40:  436   604   126
   20:  618   499   104
   15:  749   980    96
   10:  319   153    70
-------------------------
Total: 2235  2236   532  Total Score = 2,378,572

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What an adventure.  In many ways this was the easiest expedition I've ever been
on for WAE CW - driving around Las Palmas IS NOT the easy part though - we got
seriously lost at least three times!  :-)  The URE has a great station setup
for an urban station with two solid state amplifiers and two FT-950s.

The URE was a great host.  Juan Hidalgo, EA8RM, set up the two SO2R position,
moving the radios and amplifiers - I didn't have to keep a list of everything I
changed or put it back! Teardown was almost trivial :-)

The ONLY hardware I brought was my trusty SO2R Master switching box and a bunch
of cables!  Juan was extremely helpful in planning strategy - especially off
times which are much different here than in North or South America.

Before the contest, EA8ZS dropped by and gave me a few GREAT T-SHIRTS with EF8U
and KD4D screened on them.  I'm sure the shirt raised my score.

Saturday's morning rates were not as good as I hoped - I had a grand total of
10, yes 10, QSO's on ten meters Saturday.  The band never opened.  As Juan told
me it would be, 15 meters was a bottomless pit of European callers.  Sunday
morning, 10 meters opened with a bang and I had my best hour - 107.

A bit later Sunday morning, my trusty SO2R Master SO2R box failed.  I had
intermittent CW keying problems late Saturday which I thought were RF.  This
was the ONLY failure and it was in my equipment - the URE station had no
problems at all.  I had an unexpected hour of off-time while I figured out the
real problem - I started with the radio, checked the computer, and finally
started looking in the right place.  I reconfigured for one radio - re-wiring
everything - and used one radio for the rest of the contest.

I had hoped to beat EF8M's score from last year but that wasn't to be.

WAE CW was a lot of fun from EA8.  80 was EXTREMELY noisy, especially Friday
night, and 40 was noisy too.  I had hoped for higher QSO totals, especially on
80.  15 was GREAT and I may not have spent quite enough time on 20 Saturday
evening.

Congratulations to VY2ZM (and K1LZ) for an incredible M/S score from PEI!

Thanks for the QSO's, QTC's, and QSY's!  :-)

73,

Mark,  EF8U (aka KD4D)

Hourly Rates, dupes and 0 point QSO's removed

 Row Labels     3     7    14    21    28   Grand Total
10-Aug-2013   106   309   478   517    10   1420
          0     8    60     9               77
          1    23    32                     55
          2    34    21     2               57
          3    20    19    28               67
          4           2    34               36
          6                50               50
          7                99               99
          8                12    81         93
          9                 7    77     5   89
         10                 5    74         79
         11                 3    86     2   91
         12                 5    75         80
         13                 6    37     1   44
         14                       1         1
         15                 7    45         52
         16                22    26     2   50
         17                75     3         78
         18                64     8         72
         19          43    34     4         81
         20          58     8               66
         21    17    20     2               39
         22     1    33     2               36
         23     3    21     4               28
11-Aug-2013     7   127   140   232   309   815
          0     1     1                     2
          6           5    30     2     2   39
          7                           107   107
          8                 3          79   82
          9                 1    19    51   71
         10                 2    27         29
         11                 4    18         22
         12                      40         40
         13                      34    13   47
         14                       3    55   58
         15                      52     1   53
         16                11     4         15
         17                      26         26
         18                35     7     1   43
         19          62     1               63
         20     1    24    16               41
         21     3    22    20               45
         22     2    13    17               32
Grand Total   113   436   618   749   319   2235