[3830] SAC CW OH2BH(OH6KZP) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kim.ostman@tut.fi
Subject: [3830] SAC CW OH2BH(OH6KZP) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:35:10 +0000
                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, CW

Call: OH2BH
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH2BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Pusula
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

   80:  359    44
   40:  691    60
   20:  719    68
   15:  493    65
   10:   59    29
-------------------
Total: 2321   266  Total Score = 1,459,010

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

It seemed that the activity was quite good this year. Propagation wasn't bad
either; in fact I was very pleasantly surprised with how good 40m and
especially 80m were towards North America. 20m and 15m were in good shape,
although there was no early 15m JA opening on Sunday.

Ten meters was quite spotty, with the CQs on the second radio netting some good
multipliers every now and again on Sunday. An Over The Horizon radar destroyed
the 10m CW band for more than an hour in the morning, but fortunately the radar
stopped before the end of the contest and enabled a few more contacts.

The traditional Sunday-morning sunrise grind was awful, with seemingly nothing
getting the QSO rate up even though the high bands were already opening. I had
some sweaty moments watching the progress of Toni OH2UA @OH8X and Per SM2LIY
@SJ2W on the cqcontest.net scoreboard during that time :) I must say the
scoreboard adds a whole new level of whipping results out of yourself when
competing with friends. Very easy to use and get hooked up to, too. Good stuff.
Fell about 50kpts short of my goal in the end, and we'll blame that on 10m.

Technically things worked fine, apart from a mysterious RFI problem that messed
up the SO2R switching system at 01 UTC when transmitting on one of the radios.
Thoughts about "well that was it then" already entered my mind, but
fortunately(?) the problem disappeared not too long after appearing, by
itself.... Some slow minutes were spent wondering what happened and what to do
about it. The glitch also dropped the audio from the station's live audio/video
stream for the rest of the contest, as I didn't have time to fix that in the
middle of the contest heat. The silver lining was that my nervousness over
whether everything would work until the end almost entirely overshadowed the
usual Sunday morning fatigue :)

Many thanks to Martti OH2BH and Leena OH2BE for their hospitality and for
letting me use the fine station. And as always, thanks to all for the QSOs and
for participating. There is hard work going on to continuously improve SAC, and
hopefully the results are manifested also in the events themselves!

Kim OH6KZP