[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:58:21 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TR
Operator(s): K1TR
Station: K1TR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WMA/FN42
Operating Time (hrs): 25

    6:  177    25
    2:  176    36
  222:   74    29
  432:  109    29
  903:   28    11
  1.2:   28     8
  2.3:   17     6
  3.4:    9     4
  5.7:    4     3
  10G:    5     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  627   154  Total Score = 158,158

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First time back on Wachusett Mountain since they revamped the summit. To avoid
the new large blockage due East (greater Boston,) associated with the base of
the new fire tower, I elected to set up off the summit on the Southwest edge.
>From here my shot to greater Boston would not be blocked but I still had a
blockage to the Northeast and I was in the trees. I underestimated how much
performance I would lose on the higher bands by the foliage. I was unable to
QSO with stations that are normally quite workable, my totals above 432 were
way down.

For me propagation was about average until the last hour or so, when W4NH
(EM85) and AA4ZZ (EM96) popped up. We worked easily on 2m-432. One of the other
highlights was hearing K8EP (FM09) with good signals all weekend long.

Back in the 80s, a group of us would operate M/M from this QTH. One of the main
operators, usually operating 2m, was Ken, K1EA. I haven't seen much of him over
the years since. I was surprised and delighted on Sunday afternoon to see him
and his daughter stroll up to my minivan and say hello. It was great to
reconnect after so many years.

As usual, a special thanks to all the Rovers; your efforts are greatly
appreciated!