[3830] CQ WW RTTY K8MU SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mu599mi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K8MU SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:06:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K8MU
Operator(s): K8MU
Station: K8MU

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 32

   80:
   40:
   20:  630      41      67    24
   15:
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  630      41      67    24  Total Score = 200,376

Club:

Comments:

I operated from the summer cottage (EN83) about 2.5 hours north of the home QTH
with a K3 barefoot and a dipole at about 41 feet.

I started almost 3 hours late due to a computer problem (a hard drive failure
that prevented booting), a trip to the local county park (the only public
wireless in town) to get N1MM to install on the work laptop, and a second trip
to the park because I forgot to also download MMTTY. Once I got the software
installed and going, I discovered I'd forgotten the SignaLink/K3 interface
cable when I'd packed the radio gear 2 weeks earlier for WAE phone.

Plan B was to use the built-in audio in the laptop, but I didn't even have
cables for that. My sister (who was finishing her vacation that weekend)
graciously offered to make a 1-hour round trip to the town of Bad Axe to get me
some cables at WalMart.

I quit about 1.5 hours before the end of the contest when N1MM started acting
up and not logging some of the contacts. This year's claimed score is about 50%
better than last year, with about 100 more Qs, but fewer mutipliers. (I was 10
states short of last year.) I had a better mix of 3-point Q's this year and had
55% more QSO points on only about 19% more QSOs. It took 50% more operating time
to do it, though.

I'll definitely try to be more prepared next year, but I thought I was this
year. I had just updated N1MM on Wednesday evening, and on Friday, the computer
wouldn't boot.

Larry K8MU