[3830] CQ WW RTTY N9TF SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gene_n9tf@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N9TF SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 02:35:35 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 17

   80:
   40:  186      42       30    13
   20:    2       2        0     1
   15:  270      15       60    19
   10:   54       2       29    12
------------------------------------
Total:  512      61      119    45  Total Score = 259,875

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Well, Murphy struck for the first hour or so of the contest. MMTTY was not
functioning properly and it took several reboots to finally get that straight.
Then after the first two Q's on 20mmy XYL yelled at me that the Direct TV had
gone out. I had this same problem in the past which I thought I had resolved.
Unfortunately, the one DTV box in the family room was not happy with my RTTY on
20, so had to scrap plans on working 20. These darn boxes are plastic with very
poor shielding. Work for another day I suppose :(  At that time I thought about
maybe going for a 40mSB entry. I ran it as best I could Friday night, mostly
S&P. Quite a challenge with just 100 watts and a rotatable dipole (D4) at
37'. Pulled the plug a little after 0600 UTC with the plans to get up and work
sunrise on 40. I was able to snag on JA and KH for my labors. I worked 40 until
I was hearing all the same stations and activity was dying. For the heck of it,
I went to 15m and, holy smoke! 15m was alive and well, so I decided to just
keep going and see what I could do! So easy to get sucked in! I did run a few
times, but did mostly S&P. It was hard to hold a freq with low power and a
dipole. I had all the intensions of working more 40m Saturday night. Made the
mistake of taking a break to watch the evening news and fell asleep! Hell to be
getting old ;) I did get up at a decent hour Sunday morning and hit 15m right
away. Great band conditions again. Conditions mid afternoon Sunday got
interesting as I was working JA's and EU at the same time. With the dipole
broadside east/west i was hearing and working them both. Even ran for a very
short time and had a mini pile of JA's for a while. Ended up putting in about
17 hours in the chair and had a great time. Operating conditions: Icom 756
ProIII 100 watts to a D4 rotatable dipole at 37'. 73's Gene, N9TF