[3830] CaQP ND0C SOFixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP ND0C SOFixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 00:53:12 +0000
                    California QSO Party

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOFixed QRP
QTH: Minnesota
Operating Time (hrs): 21.25

  160:    0      0
   80:   49     10
   40:   52     22
   20:   74     89
   15:  112    180
   10:    0      0
    6:    0      0
    2:    0      0
--------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

This year's CQP was a lot of fun, with some frustrations thrown in.  As always,
I was running QRP so some of the frustrations are my own fault!  I was able to
beat my personal record, but fell just short of the out-of-state QRP record.
The CA activity seemed good.

The low bands paid off surprising well, but of course I had to do lot of
repeats, especially on 80.  On the other hand 10 never opened up here in the
Black Hole of the Upper Midwest.  I could very faintly hear some non-CA
stations in the SE US, but didn't hear anything out of CA.  - I hadn't held
much hope of 10 opening this weekend, but it was still depressing to hear...
nothing.  With QRP, 10 meters can make all the difference in the world.  I
think if I could have just had a couple hours of a decent opening, I could have
beaten the QRP record.  Oh well - we all have to play the cards that the
propagation deals us.  Fortunately 15 meters was solid and it was definitely
the work-horse band for me.

One final frustration was not getting the sweep.  I never heard a single Merced
station.  Bummer!

But all-in-all, this remains a great QSO party and I try to keep my schedule
clear every year so I can play!  Thanks to all the great CA ops for your good
ears and patience in pulling my 5 watts out of the noise!  See you again next
year!

The ND0C "super station":
  Yaesu FT-897D running 5 watts
  Cycle 24 TX38 tribander Yagi (interlaced monobanders on single boom - 2 el on
20, 2 on 15 and 4 on 10) at 40'
  Cushcraft D-40 rotatable 40m dipole (at 42')
  Inverted vee with apex at 38' fed with ladder-line

73,
Randy, ND0C

"You don't have to be crazy to contest with QRP ... but it helps!"