[3830] CaQP W6UE(N6AN) SOSchool HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, davidchodge@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6UE(N6AN) SOSchool HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:24:11 +0000
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6UE
Operator(s): N6AN
Station: W6UE

Class: SOSchool HP
QTH: LANG
Operating Time (hrs): 23:50

  160:     7     1
   80:   148   123
   40:   161   140
   20:   257   268
   15:   349   293
   10:   142   159
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  1064   984  Mults = 58  Total Score = 299,106

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

That was a lot of fun!
I set a few goals for myself. A sweep, a CA county sweep, a rate of 100/hour,
300k final score.
The sweep took a while. By Saturday night I was still missing VT, KL7 and NT.
KL7AIR called in on 75 for #56! Sunday morning I worked a couple VT stations.
When I felt I should have been on 15 and 10 but was not getting any traction I
fired up on 20. After a few Qs I heard what sounded like GER. As my pulse
quickened I turned the beam due north and there was VE8GER for the sweep. I let
out a loud whoop! Stateside, I missed 4 CA counties.
The 100/hour rate seems low, but in every CQP I struggle to beat it. I was 60
Qs off the mark when I shut down at 0720 for the full 6 hour off time. I do
better with sleep, hi! Sunday was tougher going. I never seemed to be in the
right place at the right time. On 15 I had a beautiful clear frequency and one
Q with a WI station who said I was 30 dB over. But nobody else answered my CQs.
So I QSYed. A little while later all the real estate seemed to be gone. 10 was
hot and cold. I marveled to have 9A call in and an ME station that sounded next
door. At times signals sounded like that magical 6 meter overload-your-receiver
strength.
I revised my QSO goal and was happy to cross the 2000 mark in the last hour.
The 300k mark eluded me by 5 CW QSOs. There were many big holes in my log where
those few contacts could have been made. C'est la vie.
N6WIN was certainly a fitting call sign for Dan, N6MJ. Once again he shows us
how it is done. Kudos, Dan!
This is the first year I have worked so many EU stations. Welcome to the party!

On 15 fone I was called by a DO9 station with strong music in his audio. I felt
I was working a short wave broadcast station!
Thanks to all for the many contacts. It is fun to revisit band by band, mode by
mode.
73,
David, N6AN

K3 with Alpha 78 and N1MM