[3830] Oceania CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Oceania CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 03:58:51 +0000
                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM2B
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZM2B

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: New Plymouth
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:
   40:  531   291
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  531   291  Total Score = 772,605

Club:

Comments:

My original plan for the weekend was to fly up to Auckland to pick my car
which has had some work done on it, however because the car wasn't
ready I decided to operate in the contest on all bands as usual, however I
ended up operating just 40m only.

Didn't seem as many callers on 40m this year, especially from Asia and
NA, maybe because 15m and 10m were in such good shape. Made 531
contacts but noise, man-made and atmospheric was a big problem. I finally
gave up a couple of hours before the end of contest as I was fed up
fighting the noise.

Was using a IC-7600 and I don't think the DSP noise reducer is as good as
the NR on the TS-2000. I have a Timewave ANC-4 which usually helps a
little bit with local man-made noise, but on this occasion it made no
difference because the stronger noise seemed to be atmospheric type.

The reason I operated 40m only was because some of the top-pole locking
bolts on the AlfaSpid rotator had worked loose and the tribander was
swinging around a lot in the strong winds. The 30-year tilt-over mast will be
coming down in the next few weeks and replaced by a taller
wind-up/tilt-over mast being built by a local engineering firm.