[3830] CQWW SSB MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, md0cce@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB MD2C(MD0CCE) SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 22:47:32 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: MD2C
Operator(s): MD0CCE
Station: MD0CCE

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH: Isle of Man
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:  104    10       41
   80:  180    10       51
   40:  231    17       57
   20:  161    21       67
   15:  263    22       67
   10:  616    27       61
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

The SteppIR was previously damaged in a windstorm and not yet repaired, and the
tower cranked down to 25ft, so the 40m inverted vee apex was about 22 feet high
and the ends of the vee just about on the ground.  Guests overstayed and didn't
leave until early afternoon Saturday, and my near neighbour was operating in
the contest with several operators, so all in all, the decision to enter in the
new 24-hour Classic Category with low power so as to not cause interference with
my neighbour's effort seemed and easy one to make.

But then the conditions were the best I can remember from this QTH for a whole
contest weekend, and I am sure there will be some really fantastic scores
turned in for this weekend!

A lot of fun, with the rate meter exceeding 400/hour several times and up to
272 per hour over an hour on ten meters, 180 per hour over an hour on fifteen
meters, and 170 per hour over an hour on 40 meters.  Pileup control seemed more
difficult with the low power and I'm sure it was frustrating on the calling end
when callers continued, not hearing my response and report.  This was
particularly difficult on 40 meters, while on 10 meters the pileups were very
disciplined with callers stopping completely for the exchanges, which was the
likely reason for the higher rates on 10 meters.

160 meters was a particular challenge with low power, and I think I used up at
least a half hour calling D4C for a QSO!  The points may not have justified the
time spent, but it became a point of honour (or pride?) to make the QSO.  He
finally pulled me out of the noise, but then I heard him CQing on TB just
before my dawn, with a tremendous signal and I'm sure we would have had a quick
QSO then!  I heard many W/VEs on Top Band but only managed to work a few with
big ears - thanks for your patience and careful listening!

Particular highlights that come to mind include coming across and working 7O2A
on 10m, being called by NH7A during a run of west coast stations on 10m,
working B9/BY9GA on 40 meters, and just saying a quick hello to so many
friends.

A great contest with lots of interesting participants and good conditions all
weekend, all in an interesting new category.  A great weekend!

73
Bob    MD0CCE

Rig:   FT-DX-5000
Yagi:  4 el SteppIR at 25 feet