[3830] CQWW SSB VU2MUD SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vu2mud@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VU2MUD SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:35:32 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VU2MUD
Operator(s): VU2MUD
Station: VU2MUD

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:   10     6        8
   20:   41    15       25
   15:   35    13       22
   10:   39    10       18
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Equipment: ICOM IC-718 - 80 W - G5RV Jr (40m-10m)

Even though hampered with a slightly slurry speech and a sore upper lip due to
a motor accident recently, decided to have fun this contest instead of going
seriously with a band specific operation.  The accident also put on hold my
plans for putting up a Hex Beam for which material is all collected and ready.
So decided to go "Hunt & Pick" in this contest.
Nature woke me up on time for the early morning 0530IST (0000 UTC) start and
started off with a 40 m QSO with A65BP and OM8A.  Band was yet to open up and
stations were very feeble. Made a quick check on 20 m and picked up W0AIH.
Bands seemed to be warming up!!
Back for a stint on 40 m picking up couple of Europeans and a Middle East.
Back to 20 m and North America was booming in!! - Canada, USA and Columbia and
Nicaragua!! - last two being new ones for me!! - was forced to go off the air
at 0130 UTC as MQTH duties beckoned!!
Took time off from the MQTH early and back in the shack at 1130 UTC things
looked hot on 15m - mainly Europe and picked up Guam - AH2R before moving on to
20m for a few and moving back to 15 m to pick up 5Z4T - Kenya - Another new one
in the log.  It was really pleasing as my G5RV was expected to have a null
towards Africa and Japan (proved because I did not work a single J!!!). Ended
the day 1 at around 1815 UTC having worked a few Ws on 15, Australia/ New
Zealand, Oceania and the usual splatter of Europeans.

Day 2 started at 2344 UTC - with IG9R and A71BX on 40M. 20 m opened up rather
late around 0145 UTC with a fairly good opening towards NA & SA picking up
PJ6A,  P49Y PJ4X TI5W and YN5Z along with the Ws and VAs.  Family commitments
necessiated a break for 3 hours from 0130UTC to 0445 UTC.

When I came back to the shack, 10 m was hot and running! towards Europe and the
Middle East! Mixed with 15 m kept my voice warm and the Upper lip getting sore
:)and the QSO count crossing the century mark.

A break for lunch turned out to a be a shopping break for a little over 2
hours!!

Evening was fairly active till I called it an end at 1430UTC with the upper lip
getting really sore and risking getting swollen - with GZ5Y being the highlight
mixed with the ususal spread.

Overall Learnings from the contest were
1. Dont expect to have a great run without properly TUNED antenna - A
compromise antenna like the G5RV is just that in a Contest - A COMPROMISE -
other works great for all bands!!
2. Be Fit enough to do long hours.
3. Family commitments to be properly planned without any excursions outside the
home - a 15 min break may well turn out to be a very long break - losing out on
the score
4. Enjoy as much as you can and fill in your log book with DX and at least a
few new ones.

Will be back next year with a better setup for sure!!

73 de
Madhu - VU2MUD