[3830] CQWW SSB KT4ZB SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, KT4ZB@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KT4ZB SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:17:19 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB
Station: KT4ZB

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23.6

  160:    3     3        3
   80:   14     8       11
   40:   67    11       31
   20:  196    22       72
   15:  263    26       82
   10:  381    26       82
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

So...the CQWW contest committee decided to add a new overlay contest and call it
Classic Radio.  And the rules say, non-assisted, and only 24 hours.  Okay, the
24 hours is all right; but, non-assisted and low power sounds like work to me.
Also, it reminds me of contesting with my old FT990 and a 40/80 meter dipole
strung across the lot in midtown Savannah years ago. Memories aside, I decided
to give it a try.

   Holy cow, where did all these stations come from?  Plus, the solar flux was
at 160+ and 15 meters was wide open to Asia.  Friday evening was thrilling with
26 JA's, Guam, Mariana Islands, VK, Philippines and Palau in the log. It was
almost impossible to work 40 meters with low power.  The weekend was all
S&P, even the big stations were having problems holding a frequency.  I
heard but never worked the GT8 calling CQ under two big guns fighting with each
other over the frequency...I've been here for 2 hours...NO, NO, I've been here
for 3 hours...oh my, maybe that's why it's called amateur radio.

   It's amazing to see stations on 10 meters above 28.8 MHz.  Although I worked
non-assisted, there were great DX contacts �" 3V7A, 5W1SA, 7Z1SJ, A71BX,
AH0BT, AH2R, B9/BY9GA, DU7RH, E2E (probably the first time I've ever worked
Thailand in a contest), IS0BSR, NH2T, OA4SS, SV9FBG, T88AZ, TF3CY, V47JA,
VP2MDG, and YM3KM to list a few.  Special mention goes to HK1NA for the first
station outside the US for me to work on all six bands!  Another of my favorite
contacts was working a KH6 on 80 meters.  Gosh, I wonder what all I missed as I
had no spots on the bandmap?

   Thanks to the CQWW committee for sponsoring this great contest and the new
Classic Radio overlay...A+++.  And thanks to all the folks around the world
whose contacts filled my log.

Best - Jere

FT1000mp Field (100w), TH6DXX, dipoles and N1MM.