[3830] CQWW SSB NN3W(@N3HBX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, richnn3w@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NN3W(@N3HBX) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:31:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W K4ZW KE3X NH7C N3HBX
Station: N3HBX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   44    18       41
   80:  223    24       83
   40:  794    34      111
   20:  890    39      142
   15: 1295    38      149
   10: 1838    37      154
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As always, thanks so much to John Evans for allowing a motley group to take over
his station.

What a weekend!

Originally, I was going to operate SOAB, but a combination of issues (boy scout
campout, ill family members, etc.) meant that at about 10 days before the
contest, I decided to convert the effort to multi-single as I felt this was a
weekend not to be missed.  We hastily assembled a crew of operators which
included cajoling K4ZW out of his seminannual hibernation, armtwisting KE3X
into one shift while his XYL was out of town, NH7C, and even N3HBX himself.
Operating scheduling was quite the challenge, but it all worked well.  I think
I slept 1 hour (in between coaching, soccer, and a boy scout campout).

Condx on the high bands were amazing.  10 was nuts from dawn until dusk with
stations above 29.0 MHz.  15 was great.  20 was workable as folks finally
gravitated to the higher bands.  40 was pure mayhem - the most crowded band in
ham radio.  80 was quiet but not as productive as in the past.  160 was
frustrating with multiple stations in EU audible but not hearing us - at all.

We had some big, big hours with the 10-Q hitting above 500 at points.  We had
minor issue with a control box on the 10/40 tower failing requiring an in-field
repair job at 10:00 pm Friday night.  We chased mults, found 7O2A CQing without
a caller, worked loads of JAs, learned to modify HBX for M/S use in CQWW, and
had a blast.

Two main goals for the weekend:
1) have fun - check...
2) break the W3 - M/S record - check...

Did we win M/S for USA?  That would be interesting to see happen.

See you in the next one!