[3830] CQWW SSB VE6WZ SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve6wz@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE6WZ SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 01:42:35 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WZ
Operator(s): VE6WZ
Station: VE6WZ

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:
   40: 1045    34      110
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1045    34      110  Total Score = 349,920

Club:

Comments:

FTdx-9000D, ACOM 2000a, 2-el HB Yagi at 30m.

I started this contest like most others with limited commitment and uncertainty
about what band I might choose (at ve6wz that choice is only 160, 80, or 40m).
160 and 80 seemed poor, so 40m it was.
I started out casual just doing S&P (point and shoot off the packet) and I
was surprised at my rate and multiplier count after about 4 hours, so at about
10 pm local, I decided I would give 40m a serious attempt and I decided to run.
I started running US until East EU sr, and then moved the beam to EU.
The band was in good shape, especially at EU SR, and I had some good EU run
rates. The best signals from most EU countries was well after their local SR.

I shut down at 2 am local after EU closed, and planned to get up for SR at
eastern USA. I started running USA until just at my local SR and then moved the
Yagi to Asia. Asia was OK, with some good JA runs, but far from the best I've
heard. Long path EU was very disappointing with only a few making it into the
log. Nothing from Z-22 or 23. Day two was similar, but the band map was full of
spots already worked, so I tried to run more.
It was a fun contest and I'm glad I decided to go for it.
I am really not a contester, but more of a dx-er at heart, so my commitment is
limited and I realize I have a LOT to learn about contesting. I found it
particularly difficult deciding when to run, and when to S&P. I also
struggle with where to point the Yagi. With the Yagi pointed at EU, while
trying to run, often my rates would get slow, and weak US would call off the
side of the beam. At SR, running Asia, US is off the back of the beam. I'm sure
I took years of life off my rotor! My 40m Yagi is interlaced with my 2-el 80m
Yagi, so it was a lot of work for that poor rotor!

Thanks to all who called, and all who copied me. I hope condx will be good for
CQWW CW, since my hope is to do an 80m assisted effort. I will look for you all
then!

(p.s. on Sunday morning I did notice the standing NA record for 40m_H assisted
is held by N2ZX with a score of 340,272. Although my claimed score is higher, I
am sure I will NOT displace Curtis since I usually lose 5-8% from my claimed
score...perhaps another time.)

73, de steve ve6wz