[3830] CQWW SSB N5BO(@N5FG) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5BO(@N5FG) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:06:33 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5BO
Operator(s): N5BO
Station: N5FG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    8     6        7
   80:   45    12       25
   40:   96    22       52
   20:  223    25       87
   15:  287    32       95
   10:  876    32      113
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

It has been many years since I last participated in a contest, so I really
wasn't sure what to expect.  My number one goal was to improve on my 2004 score
that placed me in the top 10, well I accomplished that, but I doubt it will be
enough to place in the top 10 again.  My other goal was to get over 100 on 10M
because I was still a few short for DXCC on the band, which after uploading to
LOTW I achieved that.

With wire antennas for 160/80 and a 40m Yagi that was limited to turning from
300 to 0 degrees made for long nights.  Looking back I should of worked on
getting some rest the first night instead of going 23 hours out of the first
24.  The station is best on 10M, so I stuck with trying to get the most QSO's I
could on that band while mixing in sweeps of 20/15 to find mults and new
stations to work at times.  On 10M I was able to get a couple of runs going to
EU that produced 110+ an hour, but never developed anything to JA's.

Typical of Sunday afternoons, the new multipliers that popped up on the bands
were easy to find with the massive pileups, but was hardly worth the time spent
on trying to get through with 100 watts.  A few times I just kept on going, but
returned later to find the pileups more manageable.  40M seems like a zoo with
the band allocations now, I much preferred the band back in 2004 with the DX
working split instead of having to find them mixed in with HUGE NA signals.

And finally, a couple of things that bothered me during the contest were the
large amount of stations who take forever to sign their callsigns, this is a
pain when mostly operating S&P and it forces me to just keep going with
hopes of running across the station later.  Another is the amount of stations
with terrible audio, at times it makes it very hard to even understand what is
being said by them, not to mention how wide their signals are!

Thanks to FLoyd N5FG for having me at his station and I look forward to
building my own in the future.

Justin
N5BO