[3830] SS CW VE9AA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW VE9AA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 01:12:29 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MAR
Operating Time (hrs): 16:24

------------
  160:    0
   80:  100
   40:  245
   20:  148
   15:  114
   10:  193
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Another sweepstakes in the record books.  This one the AMAZING 80 !

Took some early off times and all throughout SS would work an hour here, half
hour there, just to keep fresh.  EVen slept !

Early on had worked VY1EI and how they copied me I have no idea....he was 3
notches above ESP with a beesnest calling him.
I cranked the keyer speed up and managed to slip thru the cracks in the slower
callers I guess(?)

VY1JA kept showing as red, even though VY1EI was worked, so I had to get Jay's
attn, as the red was after me, hi

Alaska was real tough.  Normally they THUNDER in here on 15m late afternoon,
but took many calls on 20m and 40m with uber weak
signals and lots of flutter to put a cpl in the ol' logbook. WHEW. I sweated
that one. (where was KL7RA ?)

(on day 2 I worked several with FB signals)

Well, Vermont kept me up late.  I had 81 section worked late evening, but Gerry
was too weak on 40m early on, then apparently went for a nap.
LAter, he had his scatter ears on.  W1VE was so multipath here that I called
many times to get ol' Gerry to hear me, but he eventually did.
You ever copy rapid fire extreme multipath @ 36wpm? I have no idea how Gerry
wrapped his brain around my exchange but after a couple overs we had it.
I must have sounded like a JA over the pole durin g disturbed AU
condx.hihihihi

Sunday evening W1VE was 5NN+++ in here, clear as a bell.  Go figure.

Went to bed last night @ 2:30am thinking I would never hear EWA for my last
section, let alone work it !
Overslept this morning and when I checked the cluster, no EWA - rats !
AFter a short while I saw W6AEA spotted on 80cw, but sun was already up here
for a while.
I tuned to the QRG anyways just in case and he was 419 with a hoard of Mid West
(still in darkness) calling, so
no chance.....started the drudery of trying to scare up QSO's on 40 & 20m,
but most ops were still sleeping.
Eventually 20m came alive and I saw W7WMO spotted. What a dogpile. No chance to
break that.
A cpl minutes later I saw ol' W6AEA spotted on 10m....here's my chance.  Wow,
he's good copy so I called
him barefoot, as had not returned amp.  Came right back and that was my SWEEP !
 Thanks man.

Sunday was a mix of runa nd S&P as fresh meat arrived for shopping. The guy
that hadn't been spotted were a lot easier to work.
Just tune, tune tune, ol' skool ;-)

After 800 Q's, I had had enuff. Too much BIC time, but it was a good contest.

Lowlights: Missing W4MR on I think 10m.  He called and called, but just oh so
weak. He would come out of the noise for 1 or 2 characters, then nothing
for a minute. I am sorry.  I tried.
That's about it. I think I worked lots of QRP guys and many had wicked good
signals.

Highlights.  The new HF9V seems to really crank.  I am not busting any pileups
on 80m, but I am generally able to get through.  I made a switchbox, so I get
the entire
band by shorting out sections of the 80m coil with remote relays.  Works for
now.

Thanks everyone for getting on.

Mike VE9AA "MAR"........