[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:48:44 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

------------
  160:
   80:  379
   40:  342
   20:  147
   15:   67
   10:   38
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Remote from Tokyo.  This was my first time to operate this event from here.
With the time difference, 80 meters is a daytime band here and the high bands
are open at night.  I had to constantly convert the time back to EDT (and then
EST) to figure out where I should be operating.

The remote equipment worked very well.  The main problem is the frequent burps
and clicks that the radio makes.  These always seem to happen when the other
station was sending his number or check, requiring a lot of repeats.  Not sure
why it does that.

The worst thing was being without a second radio.  After doing this contest
SO2R, it's really hard to go back to SO1R.  Sunday afternoon (early Monday
morning for me) was especially awful.  I had some really, really poor hours.
It was either CQ endlessly and read the paper or tune endlessly trying to find
new stations to work.

In the end, I did better than I expected and I was only 53 contacts behind my
2012 score, although that one was a little lower than it should have been given
that I operated the first 5 hours at 10 watts.

It amazes me how many 50s checks there were.  I guess those of us licensed in
that decade are really addicted to Sweepstakes, maybe because it reminds us of
our youth.  We need to get more younger guys in this to carry on the
tradition.

Thanks for the contacts and sorry for all the repeats.

73, Hal W1NN