[3830] SS CW N7WA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N7WA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:56:36 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   71
   40:  211
   20:  382
   15:  143
   10:  100
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

A windstorm in the Puget Sound area made for some interesting choices for the CW
Sweeps start. I had my larger antennas for 20 and 40M pointed boom into the wind
(N/S) and they were getting pummeled for the first time since getting put up in
September. I wasn't going to be moving them while the storm raged so I decided
to start on 10 and 15M using a smaller antenna on smaller tower. Several hours
later, the storm lowered enough in intensity so I could park the antennas to
the SE but I watched the needle on the control head bounce for a couple more
hours. I guess several of the locals did end up antenna and/or rotator damage.

The contest began, for me, on 15M. It started out gang-busters and I had a good
run (120 rate)... for about 15 minutes. Then it just started tapering down.
After 40 minutes, I was S&Ping and hopped up to 10M. My rate was a lot
faster doing the S&P thing. For some reason, I remember this test starting
out faster running but the few years it seems to have changed. I made a note to
myself (for next year) to consider starting out S&Ping to see if that helps.
Maybe everybody is trying to run that first hour or two? After a couple hours, I
was able to run again but the rates never really top much more than 60 a hour.

I had two goals and they've never changed over the years. First, get a
unassisted sweep and second, break a thousand Q's. I've never achieved either.
This year, the sweep came fairly easily. When I went to bed Saturday night, I
was missing AK, EWA, MT, WV, NT, and MB. First thing in the morning, I worked
EWA and MT back to back on 80M - just four to go. West Virginia popped up when
20M opened. The last three were all found on 15M. First Alaska but then I was
sweating the last two Canadians. I found both within a few KHz of each other on
15M, each calling CQ, no pileups, Eventually, I worked all the sections twice or
more except for the NT. However, you only need one NT for a SWEEP!

The second goal was doomed. I knew the rates weren't there, even with two
radios; one CQing and S&P on the other. (I wasn't at a full complement of
antennas for best SO2R). My new goal lowered to 900Q's and I worked it HARD
those last two hours. I made it with 15 minutes left in the test and was really
ready to pull the plug. Then I saw I was just under 150K in points. There's
gotta be two more Q's out there and I kept my butt in the chair until I got
several more. Sometimes, you can pull victory out of defeat...

which reminds me...

I ran a bio break sometime after 4PM local time. I knew the Seahawks game was
close to being done so I popped on the TV for a quick score check only to see
the Hawks down by 7 and and Wilson throwing an interception at the 3 yard line.
Argghh! I shut it off and went back to the radio figuring that had to be it for
the Hawks. Only after the test did I check the news and find out they won the
game. Go Hawks!

All being said, this test is a challenge but I enjoy it enough to come back
year after year.

One little oddity left to mention. After the test I was taking out he garbage.
There sitting on the smoker was the front panel of the smoker where I had laid
it a week before. Very light, aluminum sheet, 12x20 inches or so. By all
right's, it should have been a couple miles down the road. I don't get it.

cheers
dink

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec
         3.5      71     142    5