[3830] SS CW K3FIV SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3FIV SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 18:35:41 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: SF
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:    0
   80:   35
   40:   78
   20:   79
   15:   62
   10:   46
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

A Sweepstakes record may have fallen this year.  Lots of people track how long
it takes them to get a sweep.  My first SS was in 1963 in EPA.  With my
100W-dipole, I never got even close to a sweep from EPA - couldn't even find DE
which was about 10 miles away.

About 5 years ago I got back into HF, and perversely decided to set up a
station similar to my old 60s setup - 100W and a low wire.  Of course
technology is better now, or at least most think so.  It was hard getting used
to making 100s of CW Qs without now ever touching a J38 or bug.

So I tried again for a sweep, and came close over the last few years.  Last
year, I missed by only one.  If ON hadn't just fissioned into ONE/ONN/ONS/GTA,
I would have had it.   Grmmph.

This year ....  SSSS.....WWWW.....EEEE....PPPP....!!!!!!!!!

So, did I set a record for time to get a sweep?  Fifty years....anybody done
"better"?

Bands were fun.  Plenty of activity but not overly crowded.   There was even
room for a few DX pileups on 10M.

Since I was aiming for a sweep, I did all S&P, at the expense of course of
fewer Qs in the log.  I also decided to use the spotting network, which I don't
normally do.  Pull out all the stops.

My Flex-3000 has a panadapter display which shows about 80KHz of the band, so
it's pretty easy to methodically go hunting.  Sure wish I had that in the 60s.
Signals were only a few hundred Hz apart, so there were a lot of them.  At each
signal, I would spend enough time to get a callsign and SECtion, to see if I
needed it.  Sometimes that required making a Q to get the exchange.  Other
times there was a pileup, so I just listened for the section to see if it was
worthwhile trying to break through.

By late Saturday evening, my section count was in the 70s, so I started paying
attention to the spotting information, and Pouncing on the red callsigns
instead of just methodically marching up a band.

That worked, but not as well as I would have liked.   I had gotten most of the
traditionally hard sections (for me) earlier, e.g., DE, VI, PR, NLI, etc., many
even more than once.  But I still had a handful of holes, and when they appeared
as red callsigns I immediately went to that frequency.   So did everyone else,
and my LP/dipole, from about as far west as you can get in the lower 48, just
isn't good in a crowd.   I spent quite a bit of time trying to get through to
VO1MP for NL, but there was always someone closer and louder.

So, I decided to go old-school, and I went back to hunting, like you always had
to do back in the 60s.   Since my holes were all in the same general region
(NNY, WV, QC, VT, SNJ, NL) I picked the band where signals from that area were
loud, and started marching from the bottom of the band, carefully determining
each signal's SECtion, and working them if there wasn't a pileup.

One by one, the holes filled in.  Curiously, they hadn't been delivered as red
callsigns by my spotting feed, and they had no callers at all, so they were
easy - once I found them.

I did a few little experiments.  After listening to a semi-rare station CQing
with no callers, I sent a spot out to the network, causing some displays all
over the country to suddenly show a red callsign.  Wham!  Within 30 seconds
there was a pileup.  The spotting network is very very efficient at getting the
word out.   So as I continued my hunt, as I found them, I spotted some likely
stations that others might need.   No doubt I left a stream of pileups in my
wake.

One hole left - NNY of all places!  A red callsign appeared so I quickly
Pounced.  But, even NNY was apparently rare, and there was another pileup
already there.  After trying for a while, I decided to go back to hunting and
check back periodically.

It was starting to get late, and I knew the East Coast would switch to 40 with
the darkness there, so NNY was a long shot while it was still daylight here.
So I expected to miss a sweep by one again, like last year......

Sunday, 2154Z - I found K3AJ/2 CQing on 15M, and the various magic databases
didn't know where he was.  So I worked him and he gave his section - NNY!
Sweeepppp!

The technology is nice, and certainly makes it easier.  But old school is still
useful, even in this modern computer/Internet world!

Since I was on a roll, and my CW skills had been rejuvenated, I rounded up to
300Qs for SS, and then went to test my DXing pileup karma - worked K9W through
the 10KHz pileups on 2 bands while SS was still distracting some of the crowd!
Search/Pounce works for DXing too -- but you Search for the station the DX just
worked, and then Pounce on the frequency where the DX will listen next.

I always wanted to get a Sweep with 100W and a dipole!  Got that and Wake
Island - an ATNO - too.  Fun weekend!

73,
/Jack de K3FIV 63 SF
Rig: Flex-3000, 100W
Ant: 135ft Carolina Windom at 30 feet, all bands