[3830] SS CW K8MR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K8MR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 02:07:15 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 6
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   54
   20:  264
   15:   73
   10:   37
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Home sweet home! Stop three on the tour. Late morning to mid afternoon on
Sunday.

No meters like 20 meters at this stop! The band was open from coast to coast,
with only several hundred miles of a skip zone, and even some stations sneaking
in from within that distance.

OTOH with the great high band conditions, 40 meter activity was dead at midday.
My home station is a tribander sort of station, so SO2R with 40 as one of the
bands was not productive.

I did have a minor visit from Murphy. After the great opening run on 20 and
some local mop up time on 40 I went to 15. Shortly after that NA started
thinking I was on 160SSB. The messages in memory worked intermittently, but ESC
would not stop them. I eventually out that RF was getting in via the serial
cable to the new (to me) FT1000MP (on grateful loan from N8TR). This was the
first time I'd used it in this configuration with high power on 15 or 10
meters. My junk box had a honking big toroid that a few turns on the cable did
enough to settle things down. While all this was going on my wife also showed
up to complain that there was a tire low air warning light in her car, so I
also used some time off to pump up the low ones.

I missed only Nebraska. I've never had a clean sweep in six hours from a single
station, and only once before came up only one multiplier short. Best mults were
hearing a very weak V..?? station call in on 20. I thought it may have been a
VO, so started moving the beam around from 260 degrees. The signal came up
enough to figure out it was VY, and once the beam made it to 315 VY1EI was
still weak but Q5. Second place was my first CQ on 10 meters - VO1BQ came back
for my NL mult. But no joy from the Cornhuskers.