[3830] SS SSB VE9AA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE9AA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 00:12:00 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: mar
Operating Time (hrs): 7:16

------------
  160:    0
   80:   10
   40:  112
   20:   36
   15:   11
   10:  337
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to VY1EI for my first QSO ! WOW, what a way to start off. Thanks Eric !
10m was awesome.  Also, thanks to KH7Y for stopping by for a QSO not long after
that.
I heard him on the band before the test, so I knew condx were good to the PAC
on 10m, so decided to park it right there, even though sunset was only 30mins
after the opening gun.
A cpl KL7's went into the log within 2 hours, and I had most of 6, 7 and 0
salted away making the job on day 2 much easier.
VE5UF was worked for a tricky section as well. Thanks Doug !

Going into this I had planned on at least tying the CW portions score, but
after hour #2, I had no illusions that I would not do that.  I had 40% of my
total Q's in the first 2 hours on 10m.
I started to get that SSB headache that comes from too much noise/qrm/splatter
etc and the whole weekend it just never went away.  Oh, that I could put SSB
through a 250Hz xtal filter !

I bided my time between contest and family and sleep, taking some big time off
quite early on.  10m was my daytime band and 40m was my nighttime band.
 (see band breakdown.....kinda weird !!!)

At bedtime on Saturday night I had only 2 left.  PR and NL.  I thought both
would be "relatively easy", but it took a long time.
Found 2 gargantuan pileups on KP4's on 20m Sunday morning.  One guy wasn't in
the contest and not accepting exchanges, but was giving out a #
so I didn't really want to work him.I am not sure how I would feel about
putting a guy in my log without having given him my information.  HMMM..
...and the other guy up the band had his hands full.  Took a long time and I
just kept coming back every 10 mins until I had PR. (the guy who was actually
IN the contest)

Now, just Newfoundland left....OK, where is Gus or Ken?  The rock was silent.
Finally found ol' friend VO1KVT a little later @ 59+20dB, so that was a lot
easier going taking only 1/2 dozen tries.
Thanks for the sweep Ken !!! :-)

With the dualing(dueling? hi) VY2's going at it, and other VE9's working hard,
I felt little compulsion to put in much of an effort for "the
deserving" to get the MAR mult
out there, and likely there was some VE1's kicking around, although I never
heard one.....so I stopped after 500 Q's as the brain was bulging from
contesting anarchy.

CU all in CQWW CW !

P.S.- I worked N3QE on (gasp!) phone !!! (worse yet, I wasn't his only
contact)

73 de Mike VE9AA IC7410, ~750w, HF9V for HF & 5el @24' on 10m, N1MM
dit dit