[3830] SS SSB K6O(K6OK) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jvarn359@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6O(K6OK) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:11:50 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6O
Operator(s): K6OK
Station: W6SR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SV
Operating Time (hrs): 9.7

------------
  160:
   80:   67
   40:   81
   20:   98
   15:   61
   10:   49
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Yikes, Murphy didn't strike but the Keystone Kops (that'd be me) did. Two QLFs
cost me dozens of QSO's and lots of points. As a guest op at W6SR's fine
station, I arrived an hour early to get things set up. With 20 minutes to go I
start tuning around and I'm thinking, wow, there are a lot of stations
practicing! Contest starts at 2pm local right... what? it started at 1pm? That
embarrassing boo-boo cost me 48 minutes. Next, while tuning around 10 meters
the band is quiet and signals are muted. Obviously the band is in poor shape so
I elect to start with 15 meters. Checking in on 10 meters again, I notice an
antenna switch is mapping 10m to a 6-meter yagi. I flip it and 10m comes alive
with signals...

Learned my lesson the hard way: Always double-check the contest start time well
_before_ planning your contest day. Always thoroughly check all equipment
settings _before_ start time.

The fun outweighed my early QLFs when I enjoyed a 43 minute run on 20 meters
and five shorter runs on other bands. A steady stream of callers is great,
great fun and it's such a treat for me to enjoy running because I really can't
at my home small lot micro-station. I'm also quite happy to have worked 80
sections in 9.7 hours (missed PR, NL, and DE).

Many thanks to Rick W6SR for his hospitality; for his sage advice; and for
allowing me the privilege of using his comfortable and easy to use station for
a day.  73 Jim K6OK