[3830] SS CW K9UIY Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9uiy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K9UIY Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 04:21:54 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K9UIY
Operator(s): K9UIY
Station: K9UIY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  144
   40:  247
   20:   74
   15:   71
   10:   86
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

After many many years of operating this -- one of my most favorites -- in the
Low Power "A" category using 100 W I decided to see what would be
possible using QRP "Q" with 5 W (actually measured 4.5 watts with 4.8
watts on 80 and 40)
Sometimes very frustrating but a true learning experience as well.  I think my
call recognition was helpful in busting through some mini-pile ups.  Plus
having monoband antennas and being on a hill top certainly helped as well.
Radio is Yaesu FT-1000 MP dialed back to the less than 5 W level and monoband
verticals with many radials (80 M inverted "L") for each.  This was
FUN !!  And it was indeed a learning experience and will add to hopefully
better scores in future contests.  Oh yeah --- I tried an NVIS array on 40 as
well --- it worked FB !  (Thanks Gary W9XT for the hint at our SMC Fest this
past summer!)  Many thanks to all the great ops out there with great ears for
pulling my lil sig through!  My lone missing section was ONN --- must be that
double "N" thingy becasue last years I missed NNY !  Wait 'til next
year...  73 de Vic  K9UIY