[3830] CQWW CW WX3B SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WX3B SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:31:48 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  215    21       87
   40:   56    17       49
   20:   52     9       38
   15:  264    22       76
   10:  311    26       91
------------------------------
Total:  898    95      341  Total Score = 1,117,904

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Holy SMOKE that was fun!!

I have NEVER heard 10 meters EVER like the EXCELLENT condition it was in.  The
big guns were almost pinning my meter.  Even young Filipe at his "work
QTH" F4VPX with 100 watts and a dipole was loud!  There were signals above
28.149 on 10 meters:  How do I know?  I RAN most of my QSOs AT 28.149.

Next surprise:  80 meters.  That band was surprisingly fun.  One day I'm going
to put enough time into 80 to get a DXCC in one weekend.  This is easily done
with a semi-serious effort, however I only put in several hours Saturday
night.
I had one interesting run in with a gentlemen that wouldn't QSY off my run
frequency and it cost me an hour of time, however the time was not totally
wasted.  I was able to observe and document the situation that occurs when my
vertical causes interference to the other stations...and when it does not.  A
systematic replacement of all components must be done...one day.

Due to my enjoyment of 80 meter DXing and several reasonable runs, I ignored 40
meters, which was also in excellent condition. I was blown away by DR1A's huge
signal when he called me at about 6:00am or so.  At first I wasn't sure it was
him, until I heard them CQing up the band.  So much for 40 meters closing to
EU.

My best "wishful" 40m QSO that did not happen was with Fred K3ZO at
HS0ZAR.  The skimmer told me where he was, and I kept moving the antenna until
it was somewhere south of due west and could hear him almost Q5.  I called him
a few times and I could tell he heard *something*....but it was a struggle.  SO
CLOSE!!...but no cigar on that one.

Got on 15 and enjoyed the beautiful artifact free quiet receiver on the
FTDX-5000.  The pileup was quick and intense!!

QSYed to 20 just to bump my score above 1m quickly.  Ran about 30 stations and
quickly pounced on a few multipliers.  I was surprised how good the 20m
conditions were, however you could tell, that band was VACANT compared to 10
& 15 where the masses were.

Never touched 160.

I have a feeling this is going to be one for the record books!!

73,

Jim   WX3B