[3830] CQWW CW VE3BR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3br@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3BR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:33:43 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3BR
Operator(s): VE3BR
Station: VE3BR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN03es
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  106     4        2
   80:  239    14       43
   40:  349    24       63
   20:  424    26       73
   15:  516    30       81
   10:  458    22       70
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Radio: Ten-Tec Jupiter
Antennas: 5 band hexbeam at 40ft and DX-Eng 80/40 Thunderbolt 55ft Dual Band
Vertical
Software: N1MM 13.11.1

After last year's bitter disappointment with my first ever attempt at Assisted,
I went back to the way things were meant to be. My multiplier total went
significantly down: from Assisted 561 (138 + 423) to Unassisted 452 (120 +
332). Almost equal total points, though. Instead of watching spots I could
concentrate a bit more on operating and compensate for lost multipliers with
gained QSOs. Most importantly, my fun went significantly up. Different game,
this real thing: non-assisted. Well, I have to admit that learning to use the
N1MM bandmap and available mults/Qs windows to store little gems found during
S&P for quick and efficient later use, instead of writing "reminders
to self" on stickies, also helped :^)

Made over 100 "local" QSOs on 160 m using my 80/40 vertical. Please,
do not ask about SWR - could not be measured: off the scale.

Again personal best, despite my total lack of drive at the end. Once, with
quite a few hours to go, I set the new CQWW CW all-time personal benchmarks
(Qs, points, multipliers, etc.), I somehow totally lost interest and just kept
coasting with a beer in hand. Judging by the results of those hours, I might
have quit all-together...