[3830] CQWW CW KD9MS SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craigbradley700@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KD9MS SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 04:38:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KD9MS
Operator(s): KD9MS
Station: KD9MS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IL ZN 4
Operating Time (hrs): 17:45
Radios: SO2R

  160:    8     5        6
   80:   48    17       28
   40:   93    21       50
   20:   89    20       51
   15:   75    22       44
   10:   50    18       31
------------------------------
Total:  363   103      210  Total Score = 313,313

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

So I looked at my score at 23:45 right after I finally found HK1NA on 20M and it
was 313,313. Cool! And this came in 2013 to top that! Best score since 2009 when
I got 338K points reported, but that was also 24 hours worked compared to 17
hours and 45 minutes reported by N1MM.

N1MM worked well, but I had trouble with the headphone switching. The FT-2000D
has very low audio output compared to the new (11 month old) FT-450D. I like
both radios but the 450 could have better narrower filters. Ok for normal
operating but it takes a bit of a beating during a contest. I sure miss my
Ft-990 which is on the floor waiting for its spot back on the desk. Probably
the next CW contest.

Bands were a bit noisy and somewhat unsettled, but I didn't get started to hear
how it was in the beginning, I like to listen a lot in the first hour or so to
see who is on and how they sound. Some flutter on Russians on Sunday morning,
but they were in there.

Probably stayed too long on 40M Sunday morning, but I got some cool mults
there. I love 40 CW with the sun spots, Asia was in the band well past sunrise.
Not being much of a CW operator, these contests are a chore, but low power
doesn't seem to work against you like it does on SSB, and with that I was
working 40 S&P when a station I was going to work on 20 left the band, AND
HIS SPOT OPEN!!! So I took a chance and lowered my speed to a
"comfortable" speed for me and called CQ on 14016. Stations started
coming back and by the time my nerve ran out and stations started realizing
that I can't copy well, I had 23 contacts on the low end of 20! Awesome!

Then I went back to 40 to get RT0C, but he was gone. I did get him earlier on
80 which is definitely the place to be on Sunday morning! 48 contacts on 80 is
the best for me in a while, I thought the inverted L I put up last month was
dead, but it worked great on 80 netting me 28 countries and 17 zones. Next time
I'll have to remember to get up at 4:30 local time rather than 5:30 to catch
that opening. The dogs got my coax for the working half of the homebrew K9AY
antenna last week and they got one loop wire this week so I didn't use it.
Would have made a big difference because I missed some 160M stations that I
could "hear" but not read. And on 80 I could have gotten more EU
since that loop is the one of the two that are up and working.

Thanks to all the operators that slowed down for me on my "run" and
condolences to the bigger stations that were in pileups that I broke on the
first, second or third call, HI HI. C'mon guys! Read NCJ cover to cover, get on
your club reflectors and read those posts, and keep 3830scores.com in an open
web browser window ALL THE TIME! SMC has helped me realize that the more you
know, the higher your score! I read every post I get in the summary. High power
(brute force) doesn't always work as well as listening, studying and working
smart. Work LP for a while and you will see that it is more fun than keeping
the house warm with the amp.

Oh! Had a Technician licensing class this fall semester and have 3 new hams and
1 upgrade KK4LFG from General to Extra! So look for 4 more LP guys to join the
contesting ranks!!! They passed this month so look for them in the ARRL 10M!

73,
Craig KD9MS