[3830] CQWW CW K3OO(@K3OOOOO) SOSB/10 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3oo@k3oo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K3OO(@K3OOOOO) SOSB/10 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:52:10 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3OO
Operator(s): K3OO
Station: K3OOOOO

Class: SOSB/10 QRP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  606    29      123
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Now that was fun !

I have not operated a QRP contest since 2000.  Held the USA QRP All Band record
for 13 years in that contest and it got shattered this year by K1TO.  Congrats
Dan !

I knew I could not get on the radio until Saturday morning because of a
function I had to be at on Friday.  The plan was to get on Saturday for a
couple hours 10m QRP and see if i would be in a position to break the 10m qrp
record at the end of the day..if not.. I was going to just run power on Sunday
and run stations. at the end of Saturday it was 372-29-99  so knew i had a
chance. On Sunday with 6 hours left was able to break the record.. hope it
holds after log checking..

At times when you run up and down the band in S&P mode it is almost like
your running a kw.. at many other times it is like ...yes life is too short for
qrp...

In 2000 i remember never being able to get a run going the entire weekend..
this time it was a lot different.. I was able to actually run Europe..  148
stations from cqing.... my best run was at 28.175... i have never ever been
that high above a band edge in a cw contest...but it was fun... had last 10 qso
counter at near 200 per at one point.. now that was fun..had to actually look at
the power meter...hi hi...

I heard over 145 countries during the weekend ..and 6 zones  I could not work..
that is when the reality comes...yes this is qrp ..

This was definitely a low antenna weekend... the low antenna(45') was always
10-20 db louder then the two high antennas(100'+).

Many of the qso's were actually made running 1.5 watts. because as I S&P I
have have all 3 10m antennas in line at the same time..and my total power
output is 4.5 watts.

If you have never tried QRP operating.. give it a try.. Life is too short not
to at least try QRPing....

Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.

73,
Rick K3OO