[3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:16:59 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   28     9       16
   80:  288    15       69
   40:  519    27       89
   20:  592    29       88
   15:  630    32       93
   10:  880    28      101
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast.  There is nothing quite like CQ WW CW when the conditions are
as good as they were this weekend.  Again, not quite a s good, but close, to
the SSB weekend and unfortunately not as good at all as the previous couple
of weeks.  But certainly the 2011. 12, and 13 CQ WWs, both modes, have to be
and will be remembered as &amp;quot;great conditions&amp;quot;.  That, combined
with
the
significant increase in contest participation and the increased effeciency of
people being able to find you that are using skimmer, and records are bound
to be broken.

My goal was agin, for the 3rd consequtive year, 3,000 Qs and 5 Million points.
Having just acheived it a month ago in the SSB contest, and the conditions
expected to be similar, I saw no reason to believe that it was an unreasonable
goal.  The gross record being held by W3EF at 4.795 million.

I started the contest on 40M into EU running and matched my previous best
opening hour of 2011 with a 100 hour.  This never lasts on the opening night
since a lot of EU is sleeping so for the next couple of hours its mostly
S &amp;amp; P from 160 - 20 but the rate stays good (70ish) since everything is
new
and workable.  160 was NOT in good shape and only one EU station was worked
and no one was too loud.  I worked D4C first call.  I think there was
disturbed auroral on the path from W1 to EU.  20M opened to parts of EU after
06Z and sounded auroral as well.  All of Friday night was a grind after the
opening hour but I was only 50 Qs off the pace to hit the goal.

Having slugged it out and knowing it would be make or break on 10 and 15 very
quickly, I took a 30 min nap to refresh.  I felt great after for the whole of
Saturday.

By 1130Z I was rockin' on 15M for a 130 hour and then went to 10M for hours
of 120+ until going back to 15 and then 20M.  I had a personal best clock hour
of 163 on 10M at 13Z on Sat and that was after putting up a 149 clock hour.
Best 60 min rate was 170 and best 120 min rate was 165.  Also personal bests
for me on CW.  I saw the rate meter peak at 220.  All amazing numbers for a
USA Low Power station.

Its almost expected that if you
run for 8 hours on 10, 15, 20 on Saturday of CQ WW, you will get a few great
double mult calls.  You just never know where or when.  This year it was VU,
BY, 4J on 10M; 3B8, 4L0, and A7 on 15M; and HS and ZL (Long Path) on 20M.
Always a thrill.  The 40M run  started around 21Z while clicking off nice
mults
on the second radio on 10 and 15.  40M was good but not great from here to EU.

I keep missing the best runs on 40M in this one despite a great opening hour.
Then it was 80 run at a reasonable clip.  I actually had the best 80M Qs
number
since the surreal 2010 160/80 experience.  For sure I am trading 40M Qs for 80M
Qs
between 0430 and 07Z but I pick up A LOT of mults in the process.

After combing the bands around 08Z, and hearing very loud JAs, I decided to
put in at least 30 mins of 40M CQing pointed north.  What a great experience!
About 30 JAs, BY, UA0, NH2, HL all called in.  This made the prior to sunrise
mult grabbing way easier since I had &amp;quot;filled my expected
quota&amp;quot; of
40M Asia
zones and could grab a few Pacific ones much easier while running EU at
sunrise
on 20 and 15M.

I could see that the record was going to fall &amp;quot;again&amp;quot; by mid
morning
Sunday.
10M was not quite as good but enough to &amp;quot;finish the job&amp;quot;.  I
worked
my way
up the 15M and then 20M path as we neared 20Z.  I was in record territory
by 21Z.  I hoped for a nice 40M ending run to EU but could not make it work.
However, we had very strong winds and snow squalls all day Sunday.  I lost my
40M south delta loop beam in it.  And it also turned my big 3 el 40M by
90 degrees and I was not beaming EU while I was trying to run at the end.
It could have cost me another 150k - 200k points, ouch.  I finished collecting
mults on 10 - 40.

I just read the post from W3EF.  Painfaul to read bro.  We all have these
stories
and hope they don't align with such great conditions.  I know I have another
one coming...we all do.  So we will see where Art, K1BX comes in.  Not sure if
anyone else hasn't checked in that is typically a threat in the category, but
you never know.

I had the goal of 2 back to back 3000 Q 5 meg point scores for both the CW and
SSB portions of this contest.  I may never see that duplicated...then again
maybe the next cycle with be a &amp;quot;dead cat bounce&amp;quot; and surprise
us
all.

73

Ed  N1UR