[3830] CQWW CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:35:19 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: LARNACA
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1613    36      108
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1613    36      108  Total Score = 649,008

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Plagued with PC/Keyer problems the entire weekend which cost a lot of time,
especially as I never solved them, 120 q's in the first 4 hours on an open band
is not a promising start! My spare PC was at my other place and I didn't want a
4 hour round trip. I did briefly consider purloining the family PC but that
carried a serious health warning involving personal injury!

Disabling rig control got things going for most rest of the day until  the F2
exchange button started to go into orbit emitting a stream of garbage,
apologies to those affected ops on the receiving end and thanks for your
patience. Next off the F3 'TU' button began to lock up the keyer, rig and amp
on full carrier, not good! The remainder of the contest spent typing the calls
with a fat fingered left hand whilst sending the exchange with the paddle. At
least the F1 button was still sending normally, but, as I had suspected RF and
hunting the cause, how could that be?

Having solely done 10m or 15m entries in recent years I was out of touch with
20m propagation. Whereas I can predict what should happen and when on those two
higher bands 20m was like a magicians hat with dx regions arriving at odd times
and directions, it was a lot of fun. I do think that the excitement of the
higher bands caused many all band ops to spend minimum time on 20m which made
for slow going at times and at all times it was hard to maintain a run for more
than a few minutes. Aurora caused distortion and deep fading throughout making
for impossible copy on occasions. Strange thing from here was that east coast
USA 1/2/3/4 was most affected, big guns from there apart, northern, central and
west coast were easier copy.

Very disappointed with the mults attained. Missing zones were 2/6/34/37 and I
never heard any of them. As for countries I have never had such a low count,
there were very few 'gottaways' and S&amp;amp;P was very hard work to find new
ones
due, in part, to guys working the higher bands and i didn't get the timing
right
om my searches, then again maybe I just did not work hard enough.

Rig TS570 + Acom 1010.  3 ele Tribander up 50'  Logging with 'SD'

73  Brian 5B4AIZ / C4Z.