[3830] CQWW CW GM1J(MM0BQI) SOSB(A)/40 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GM1J(MM0BQI) SOSB(A)/40 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:46:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GM1J
Operator(s): MM0BQI
Station: GM1J

Class: SOSB(A)/40 QRP
QTH: Isle of Skye
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:
   40:  225    25       87
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Back to some contesting after an extended break.  40m seemed a good choice to
slip back into things with little impact on what has to be a restful and
relaxing holiday on the Isle of Skye!
Setup was very simple, quarter wave vertical positioned on the tide line with
four elevated radials.  Goes up single handed in about 15 minutes. K3 with
Microham keyer and N1MM logging.
Saturday morning gave me false hope as I seemed to work most of the stations I
called without too much delay. The afternoon session was totally different in
that I was competing with everyone in EU and had little chance of getting
through to the Asian stations that were S9 plus. Sunset brought no enhancements
that I could hear.
Sunday morning much the same as Saturday able to work loads of good DX by
keeping them in the bandmap and checking on them constantly with the second
receiver.
Sunday afternoon highlights were a couple of ZL's bang on sunset heard with
huge signals and full credit to them for pulling me through what sounded like
an EU wall of calling stations.  Family commitments meant going QRT at 1700
missing what could have been a good session with smaller pile-ups and everyone
scraping about to get the last few Qs in the log.
For me QRP is very relaxing and requires different techniques and keeps the
frustration and stress levels down to a minimum.  There was bucket loads of DX
round the Pacific and Asia that were hammering in with great signals that I am
sure could have been worked with 100w, maybe next year!
      Rig : K3, Microham keyer and N1MM LOGGING
      Antennas :1/4 wave vertical with raised radials on a 12m Spiderbeam
pole.
       Positioned with the base in the sea